The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Items Wanted (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Volumetric Alarm Sensor (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45410)

Reebs 20th September 2009 22:23

Volumetric Alarm Sensor

Wanted a volumetric sensor found on the drivers B/C pillar please :D

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...tricsensor.jpg

I'm after retrofitting one as it's one of the few options my car doesn't have.

It needs to be Sandstone Beige, and I'd want the metal mounting 'cage' that is recessed into the headling, and probably the 4 pin harness that goes to the BCU (need to check if my car is pre-wired or not).

Many thanks if anyone can help ;)

JohnDotCom 20th September 2009 22:27

Would you know if same sensor as fitted to later units mounted in centre of Roof behind Sunroof (where fitted)?

EDIT: Sorry didn't read properly you don't want to replace a faulty sensor you want whole fitting. Dooh!

v192mak 20th September 2009 22:29

I wouldnt bother as its the same sensor fitted to a load of the Rover range and they just pack in with no warning and trip the alarm off.

So if it was me I wouldnt bother with it.

Reebs 20th September 2009 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 390018)
Would you know if same sensor as fitted to later units mounted in centre of Roof behind Sunroof (where fitted)?

EDIT: Sorry didn't read properly you don't want to replace a faulty sensor you want whole fitting. Dooh!

Yep, and I really wanted the original fit one for the car's age rather than the later centre mounted unit

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...P1050922-1.jpg

but thanks for the thought John. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by v192mak (Post 390020)
I wouldnt bother as its the same sensor fitted to a load of the Rover range and they just pack in with no warning and trip the alarm off.

So if it was me I wouldnt bother with it.

Sorry to hear that you don't hold much faith in these units David, but I had one fitted to my previous 75 and it never gave me any grief.

I think the extra protection it gives would warrant the retro-fit, although I know it would require an update session on a T4 to enable it on the car.

BigRuss 20th September 2009 23:52

Will keep my eyes open for a Sandstone one, I've got one to fit in the Tourer but it's Smokestone, while I'm looking for the metal frame for mine I'll see if I can pick one up for you.

I have to agree that the added protection it offers far out-weighs any reliability problems most of which seem to be on other models.

Certainly haven't heard of one going on a 75, and no problems with the one on the V6 which is over 10 years old.

Russ

Departed 21st September 2009 12:26

I got hold of one from a 400 which I'm going to test, as I think they are the same.

Could be another source.

However I think the original metal ring will be a challenge! I think making your own and gluing to the back might work better.

doublekite 21st September 2009 19:34

So was this an extra cost option, as I have one on my Connie?
Also how does it work compared with the usual alarm and what better protection does it give? I can see nothing in my 2002/3 brochure about it.

v192mak 21st September 2009 19:48

The metal fixing is just bent over the head lining nothing more and you can take that out of any Rover or MG with the sensor in.

The sensor only goes off if any windows are smashed tripping the alarm. Also casues issues if you have flys and stuff in the car and dont leave kids or animals in and lock with the fob as it also will go off.

Not a 75/ZT issue but on other MG's and Rovers if the seal has gone on the heater blow motor any air current through the vents has tripped them off as well.

Duotone 21st September 2009 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublekite (Post 390516)
Also how does it work compared with the usual alarm and what better protection does it give? I can see nothing in my 2002/3 brochure about it.

It was a £260 optional extra on all models, standard on the Rover 75 V8

Dave T

JohnDotCom 21st September 2009 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublekite (Post 390516)

The usual fitted alarm does not cover inside of car at all.
So if someone breaks a window to reach in etc you would have no alarm.

It was a option on most models.
Early ones had two Sensors on B Pillar, later models had the roof one which was meant to give better coverage and protect sunroof. :shrug:
It covers any movement inside the vehicle, if you have a dog in car when left use key to lock car which disables Internal sensors.

Most parts are now unavailable from XPart but can be sourced through the normal alternative sources.

Some Insurance Companies also give a reduction in Premium when both are fitted.