The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   EBay £60 Chrome Door Protectors... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297357)

DMGRS 12th July 2019 00:02

I worked with Crofts to do the last 'group buy' before the production facility closed - they were fantastic quality and I prefer parts made of metal rather than plastic. :)

£60 per set isn't a bad deal, given that the Crofts finishers aren't going to be made again and these are probably the only new option out there now.

MSS 12th July 2019 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 129c (Post 2746962)
Well that makes more sense.
If they are actually genuine OEM items then why were they not listed as such? Surely would make more sense.

Intrigue is great, as is trying to get into another's mind, but why not just ask the seller whether they are OEM or not if the item is of interest to you? :shrug:

129c 12th July 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2747180)
Intrigue is great, as is trying to get into another's mind, but why not just ask the seller whether they are OEM or not if the item is of interest to you? :shrug:

The only reason I didn't do so is because they are stated as "unbranded" on the listing.

wraymond 12th July 2019 13:46

Some years ago I obtained a set of plastic ones which did not fit properly and were eventually junked. I bought a set of metal ones which now seem identical to those in the OP link and were perfect in every way. They were an exact fit with none of the slight wobble when offered dry to the recess as the plastic ones did and they retained their finish and condition until sold January last. Now replaced by my 'new' car which is 4 years older.

Those metal ones were as described in the link in the OP here and were a perfect fit in every way. Particularly attractive were the recessed ends to accommodate the door handle. They remained in place and retained their condition after 8 years in situ. I hope the ones I have just bought, thanks OP, are the same or similar origin.

I have no idea about the different technology involved in the manufacture of plastic v. metal plating but suspect the plating on metal might just be more serviceable on the latter. Isn't 'chrome plating' metal on metal? And in the case of plastic isn't it called 'coating'? Certainly they are more substantial. You can bet that when they arrive they will be carefully examined.

For those worried about being 'taken' the advert does contain the following legend which will serve in good stead should the outcome be unfavourable. And if you pay by that international bank....

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is …...

Number 6 12th July 2019 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2746902)
The originals were plastic, doubt there's many left. Dave Croft did 2 batches of chromed brass @ £50 a set & we had a gentleman's agreement that if any were sold on, it was for non profit. Sadly that went out the window:o
Anyway, Croft's fitted to my car:cool:
https://i.imgur.com/idjVDIcl.jpg

Where did you get the other chrome fitments from??

129c 12th July 2019 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2747245)
Some years ago I obtained a set of plastic ones which did not fit properly and were eventually junked. I bought a set of metal ones which now seem identical to those in the OP link and were perfect in every way. They were an exact fit with none of the slight wobble when offered dry to the recess as the plastic ones did and they retained their finish and condition until sold January last. Now replaced by my 'new' car which is 4 years older.

[/I]

Please could let us know how they are when you receive them. I for one would be very interested.

wraymond 12th July 2019 19:11

I will be glad to.

wraymond 13th July 2019 15:23

Door ‘andles

Well that was the quickest yet. Ordered the bits at 2.45pm yesterday, arrived at 9.00 am today. Came in a brake pad box so not as stated ‘original packaging’ as such but perfectly acceptable.

Each piece individually sealed in a transparent sleeve so protected. All four unmarked and having a strip of very thin adhesive tape on the outer circumference of the back which the earlier plastic ones did not have. Offered them dry up on the car and they are a perfect fit all round with no wobble caused by high spots. They are very light and non-magnetic so are plastic. Depth of shine - like a Hall of Mirrors down a telescope. When I first looked in them I didn’t know I had such a big ‘ed.

After cleaning the door recesses, and a mere spot of Plumbers Gold in the middle, fixed them. All perfect and at 15 quid a door not too bad. Tips: Make sure they are evenly positioned in the recess before firming – the tape is grabby. Make sure you get the door handle recesses the right way round!
I was tempted to buy another ‘just in case’ set but decided not to prevent others from enjoying the opportunity. Excellent service, excellent product and his feedback is all ‘5’. I can’t see them hanging about.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...9f6e380b7f.jpg
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...9f638c8c8d.jpg

129c 13th July 2019 16:37

Well that's certainly good enough for me.
Will order mine now.

Thanks very very much for your review.

All the best.

Dorchester2 13th July 2019 19:43

I've fitted those new unbranded ones in April 2018, same as yours @wraymond.
Easy to fit, sticking firmly. Very nice look.

I'm delighted. One year & a half after still shining like on the first day, despite moisture, rains & hot sun and speedy trips...
I'm hoping it will last long, but I'm confident it will. Fingers crossed.