The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Curious! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289964)

Mike Trident 8th November 2018 15:36

Curious!

I have read quite on lot on the internet about the differences between the Rover and the MG. How they feel totally different although they are basically the same car.

I am curious as to how a facelift 75 compares to an early 75? I own a facelift, but I have never driven an early model or an MG for that matter.

I know the facelift was an attempt to make the car a bit more modern and hopefully sell better. From what I understand the facelift is a sort of model that falls somewhere between the two. I believe it has stiffer springs and a MG steering rack etc etc.

The contemporary is even heading more towards an MG, but what do they actually feel like to drive? Obviously this question is aimed at some of you that have driven them all.

75c 8th November 2018 15:40

My 260 was a mk1. My first two 75s were mk 1s. I currently have two facelifts. I prefer the look of the mk1 so i romanticise them in my mind i think. By the time I had sold my mk 1's they were as good as they could be. My facelifts are mechanically there now too. I dont know if theres really any difference but my heart says the mk1 75 is a nicer car to drive.

maxi_crawf 8th November 2018 16:29

I have a 75 conny se cdt and a ZT 190 they are like chalk and cheese.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

roverbarmy 8th November 2018 16:42

I sold my 2005 Conny SE manual to get a 1999 V6 Club. Not as many toys but it has an auto box which is better for my dodgy knees and hip. The carpets are better and it seems quieter on the road. I haven't noticed a difference in handling but I drive like the old fa*t that I am! :D I prefer the look of the Mk 1 (proper old Rover !).:shrug:

Mike Trident 8th November 2018 17:15

I used to prefer the look of the mk1. But Jaguar copied it for the X type. Now everyone thinks it's a Jag.

For me personally it would have the look of the MG mk1
But have the ride and interior of a Rover.

Oh yes, it would also have to be the colour of Teflon's car, whatever that is.

Perfect!

suzublu 8th November 2018 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2685162)
I used to prefer the look of the mk1. But Jaguar copied it for the X type. Now everyone thinks it's a Jag.

For me personally it would have the look of the MG mk1
But have the ride and interior of a Rover.

Oh yes, it would also have to be the colour of Teflon's car, whatever that is.

Perfect!

Cliff's car is Lagoon supertallic:cool::drool4:

kelvo 8th November 2018 18:17

I've had a Mk1 ZT and now a Mk2 ZT and they have their differences.

I like the Mk2 front end, but I do just miss the rear spoiler of the Mk1.

The suspension on the Mk2 is "softer" and that is the one thing that I do prefer, having had an early ZT I now realise how rock hard the original set up was, the Mk2 is still firm but at least doesn't shake my fillings.

Only other thing that is noticeable is the effect of Project Drive and to me the interior doesn't have quite the same feel, although I am gradually working my way through replacing bits and pieces.

Heddy 8th November 2018 20:04

Got my first Mk2 Rover 75 a few months back after a succession of Mk1's. I prefer the Mk2, same comfort but feels more solid. I feel the Mk1's are looking a little dated now (because they are)

Animal 8th November 2018 22:47

As now owning

Mk1 mgzt 190 se+ 2.5 v6 manual
and
Mk2 rover conn se 2.5 v6 auto

the only real difference I have noticed is that the rover gives a softer ride compared to the mg otherwise they both seem the same to me

:D

coab 9th November 2018 05:13

Try a ZT with sports suspension and feel your fillings jump at every small pot hole or bump in the road!:eek: