The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Discount MG Rover Spares - DMGRS's Shop (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Metal clutch slave cylinders - Not long to wait... finally! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=164724)

tjz 30th December 2013 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by philjudo (Post 1527102)
The problem with the Tazu metal master cylinders is the pipe that's supplied with them, if there was a plastic flexy type pipe that would sort everything, with the metal pipe the engine gearbox movement eventually breaks the pipe because it has no flex, I was told I'd be lucky to get a year out of the pipe.

I'm waiting to fit the Tazu metal master cylinder I've already bought but I'll wait until a pipe is sorted.

Any update on a flexible pipe????

I'm buying one after new year's so I'm not feeling so good about it now...

Has anyone else had problems with the metal pipe?...

DMGRS 30th December 2013 20:12

The engine doesn't move enough to actually flex the pipe - the 'spring' of the copper will more than take up any movement without permanent flexing.
I've had no reports of issues, and several have been sold to a local cab firm doing mega-miles without issue.

The twisting action of the engine is negligible, and the item is warranted including the pipework. If anything happens I'll happily replace, however I'm 100% confident this is a non-issue. :)

The only place I can see a need for a flexible pipe is where the pipework passes through the bulkhead as it's a little tight - however I've fitted a couple now and it's easy to bend the copper enough to avoid rubbing.

Kyletrek 30th December 2013 20:13

I have used the metal pipe and seems fine to me I do remember seeing someone who did a write up on fitting the tazu master and he bought a braided hose complete with connections online cannot remember who it was though

DMGRS 30th December 2013 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyletrek (Post 1527073)
I know it's an old thread but is there any update on these yet as I think my slave is failing having only been in the car 4-5 months and I already have the tazu master which I think is a brilliant design

Not yet - I'll try and get an update for you ASAP. :)
If you find you can't wait, I've had no issues with the Slave cylinders I currently sell, and there's now over 100 out there in 75s and ZTs.

Kyletrek 30th December 2013 20:15

Thankyou it's much appreciated

shrimper 1 30th December 2013 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMGRS (Post 1484255)
Hello guys,
Just a quick one for you manual drivers - I've had confirmation that a metal slave cylinder WILL be available shortly, and I'll be stocking them.

I hope you're all as excited as I am...!

When yoy have had a chance to try the metal slave cylinder out could yoy let me know if it makes the clutch any lighter in use, as I have a dodgy knee and am finding driveing my 75 for more than 1/2 hour very difficult, I am thinking of changeing to an auto jag xf but would rather keep my 75 as I dont like driveing autos much.
Regards John.

DMGRS 30th December 2013 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrimper 1 (Post 1527158)
When yoy have had a chance to try the metal slave cylinder out could yoy let me know if it makes the clutch any lighter in use, as I have a dodgy knee and am finding driveing my 75 for more than 1/2 hour very difficult, I am thinking of changeing to an auto jag xf but would rather keep my 75 as I dont like driveing autos much.
Regards John.

It's the force of the clutch springs that provide the heavy feel to a clutch - the Slave will be of the same parameters to the original, so won't feel different.

I've had feedback that the 'clutch is lovely and wonderfully light' from a member regarding the Borg & Beck clutch kit - this will be same clutch I send with the metal Master cylinders too.

Roverite 31st December 2013 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMGRS (Post 1527140)
The engine doesn't move enough to actually flex the pipe - the 'spring' of the copper will more than take up any movement without permanent flexing.
I've had no reports of issues, and several have been sold to a local cab firm doing mega-miles without issue.

The twisting action of the engine is negligible, and the item is warranted including the pipework. If anything happens I'll happily replace, however I'm 100% confident this is a non-issue. :)

The only place I can see a need for a flexible pipe is where the pipework passes through the bulkhead as it's a little tight - however I've fitted a couple now and it's easy to bend the copper enough to avoid rubbing.

The only comment I would make is that 'copper' pipe does harden and becomes brittle with movement. Kunifer 'alloy' is used for brake pipes, because it has the non-corrosive properties of copper and, as I understand it, it doesn't 'work harden' with small amounts of movement. Possibly, a flexi hose at the point of movement, would be an improvement; it was often used on hydraulic clutch systems, in the same way as with braking systems.

Having said all this, I still think it is a great conversion and is now on my 'to do' list, even though my clutch is OK at the moment.

Many thanks to all those involved in bringing another worthwhile 'mod' to the market.

Roverite.

DMGRS 31st December 2013 12:48

There's been a lot of people involved with bringing it to market - we owe them many thanks for ridding us of the plastic Master cylinders. I'm merely a UK reseller to avoid the wait and get them to members as near to next-day as possible.

Copper does harden, but I honestly don't think the small amount of flex will ever be an issue in this application. The length of the run that will flex compared to the relatively tiny movement shouldn't be an issue IMO. :)

HarryM1BYT 31st December 2013 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverite (Post 1527659)
The only comment I would make is that 'copper' pipe does harden and becomes brittle with movement. Kunifer 'alloy' is used for brake pipes, because it has the non-corrosive properties of copper and, as I understand it, it doesn't 'work harden' with small amounts of movement. Possibly, a flexi hose at the point of movement, would be an improvement; it was often used on hydraulic clutch systems, in the same way as with braking systems.

Roverite.

A common way to alloy for some movement and avoid breakage of rigid pipes and cable in industry, is to put a 'pig-tail' in the pipe. The larger and more turns, the more movement it will allow for