The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Out of the blue non starting CDTi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287549)

COLVERT 6th September 2018 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUBIE (Post 2666654)
Well I replaced the UBP with a working 2nd hand unit and replaced the CAM sensor with a new patterned part made by Lemark.

However still struggling to start a bit - maybe tales 2 or 3 times with plenty of accelerator.

Once it's going it fine.

Anyone got any suggestions where next, would it run Ok if the ITP was duff and it had more than a quarter tank and would this cause problems starting.

Stubs

The accelerator might be your problem. You should not need to touch it.--:duh:

STUBIE 6th September 2018 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2667093)
The accelerator might be your problem. You should not need to touch it.--:duh:

If I don't use it it doesn't start. It will just turn over.

Gino 7th September 2018 03:50

Hi Stubie,
I'm having a similar problem with mine, except mine will sporadically cut out under hard (normally) acceleration. I've replaced my UBP, which made no difference. After visiting my usual mechanic he made several recommendations.
- disconnect & short the connector for the fuel cut off switch (below glove box fixed to A post). If this fixes it a new switch is in order.
- empty the contents of the fuel filter into a clean container &, using a magnet, check for metal fragments. If you find any it would point to the HP pump breaking up inside.
- finally, unscrew the fuel rail pressure sensor & check for rust. If you find rust then the rail may need replacing, no rust & it may be the sensor at fault.

I've just ordered a new pressure sensor & I'm hoping that will fix my problems. I should receive the new sensor early next month week, I'll post back with the result.
Rob

marinabrian 10th September 2018 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino (Post 2667103)
Hi Stubie,
I'm having a similar problem with mine, except mine will sporadically cut out under hard (normally) acceleration. I've replaced my UBP, which made no difference. After visiting my usual mechanic he made several recommendations.
- disconnect & short the connector for the fuel cut off switch (below glove box fixed to A post). If this fixes it a new switch is in order.
- empty the contents of the fuel filter into a clean container &, using a magnet, check for metal fragments. If you find any it would point to the HP pump breaking up inside.
- finally, unscrew the fuel rail pressure sensor & check for rust. If you find rust then the rail may need replacing, no rust & it may be the sensor at fault.

I've just ordered a new pressure sensor & I'm hoping that will fix my problems. I should receive the new sensor early next month week, I'll post back with the result.
Rob

Your symptoms are that of classic injector leakback Rob, and have nothing to do with the inertia switch, which in itself if is defective the symptoms are non start and hazard warning lights when the ignition is turned to position 2 ;)

As to Stubie's issues, I would suggest having the car checked properly, pressing the throttle makes no difference to the behaviour of the initial injection cycle on an M47R during startup, and if this is required in order to obtain a start, then there is something else very wrong.

Brian :cool:

Gino 10th September 2018 07:04

Hi Brian,

I have had a leak back test done & everything was fine. As for the inertia switch, disconnecting it made no difference whatsoever.
My new sensor should arrive today or tomorrow, if that doesn't fix it I will revisit the leak back. So that I am prepared, if the leak back does show up a faulty injector, I presume I will need a replacement injector?

Thanks.

Rob

Arctic 10th September 2018 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2667947)
Quote:

Your symptoms are that of classic injector leakback Rob, and have nothing to do with the inertia switch, which in itself if is defective the symptoms are non start and hazard warning lights when the ignition is turned to position 2 ;)
As to Stubie's issues, I would suggest having the car checked properly, pressing the throttle makes no difference to the behaviour of the initial injection cycle on an M47R during startup, and if this is required in order to obtain a start, then there is something else very wrong.

Brian :cool:

Hi Brian/Rob.
We had a member Ian (swifty) who came to the Nano meet we this weekend, he too had the same problem it was No 1 injector once we changed it his car ran great no more cutting out, cheers Mickyboy for injector, therefore I would re-visit the leak back test first.

Gino 10th September 2018 13:36

Hi Arctic,

Injector 4 was the weaker of the four, but still in spec. But I've just seen Mickyboy's post with 2nd hand injectors, it well be worth buying one just in case.

Thanks,

Rob

Mickyboy 10th September 2018 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2667999)
Hi Brian/Rob.
We had a member Ian (swifty) who came to the Nano meet we this weekend, he too had the same problem it was No 1 injector once we changed it his car ran great no more cutting out, cheers Mickyboy for injector, therefore I would re-visit the leak back test first.

Hi Steve,
You’re welcome mate glad he was able to get his car sorted with one of my injectors, also just to say thanks for putting him in touch with me
Mick

Gino 15th September 2018 14:00

Afternoon all,

I received my injector from Mickyboy this morning & fitted it this afternoon. I have just been for a drive &, although it now starts better, the engine will still cut out intermittently under hard acceleration. It is somewhat frustrating.
I have a fuel rail sensor on order from Rimmer's, but it has since been put on back order. I may have to find another source as I can't wait indefinitely. I'll give them a ring presently for an eta.

Rob

STUBIE 15th September 2018 14:11

An update from me.

Last weekend I bought some forte and did the overnight leave it in the fuel filter. I can now start the car with a little accelerator and the car runs OK, albeit a little rough but no issues once it started.

I also changed the CAM sensor for a new patterned part.

I am awaiting on a bluetooth dongle that I can use to get some error codes from the OBD2. Hopefully this will show me what injector may be causing problems and resole it with a possible change.

Stubs