The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Exact location of Handbrake Compensator access (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=261964)

Lord of Hog 14th February 2017 08:49

Exact location of Handbrake Compensator access

In the search for the cause of the irritating intermittent knock from the rear footwell tunnel I'm going to have a look at the handbrake compensator to see if there's anything loose in there. Having looked at the "How To" for getting at it it struck me that I might be able to cut an access hatch in the carpet (either fully removable or just cut on three sides so it flaps back). This would be held in place under normal circumstances either by Velcro or gum or some such and would allow access to the compensator cover plate thus doing away with the need to lift the rear carpet.

So ... has anyone got the exact co-ordinates of the plate so I know where to make my incision?

EastPete 14th February 2017 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of Hog (Post 2447685)
In the search for the cause of the irritating intermittent knock from the rear footwell tunnel I'm going to have a look at the handbrake compensator to see if there's anything loose in there. Having looked at the "How To" for getting at it it struck me that I might be able to cut an access hatch in the carpet (either fully removable or just cut on three sides so it flaps back). This would be held in place under normal circumstances either by Velcro or gum or some such and would allow access to the compensator cover plate thus doing away with the need to lift the rear carpet.

So ... has anyone got the exact co-ordinates of the plate so I know where to make my incision?

I might be wrong, but I think the centre console has to be raised to be able to remove the cover plate, so taking a knife to the carpet may not work. I have only done one HC in my time (and that was enough- the fact that some folks volunteer to do them for free at club meets impresses me hugely !)

Pete

EastPete 14th February 2017 09:01

Another thought- I assume you have checked the exhaust system and cross braces under the tunnel, as possible sources of the knock ?
Pete

hogweed 14th February 2017 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of Hog (Post 2447685)
In the search for the cause of the irritating intermittent knock from the rear footwell tunnel I'm going to have a look at the handbrake compensator to see if there's anything loose in there

Yeah you've got to lift the back end of the console and all sorts of things mate. But I'd be very surprised if it could be involved in any kind of "knocking" noise - it's only little :shrug:

Oh, and has 3 cables attached to it all the time, so not really prone to waving around...

ceedy 14th February 2017 12:28

why not just apply 1 click to take up any suspected cable slack and see if that stops it .. unlikely tho' as never known a compensator do anything other than stretch :D..
C

COLVERT 14th February 2017 15:21

Exactly what our Mr Ceedy says.-----:bowdown:

stevestrat 14th February 2017 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastPete (Post 2447696)
Another thought- I assume you have checked the exhaust system and cross braces under the tunnel, as possible sources of the knock ?
Pete

I'd agree with this. Tired exhaust rubbers can cause the system to drop just enough to bring the tunnel cross braces within reach of the normal exhaust movement. The exhaust hitting the cross brace tends to give a very solid "clunk".

Duotone 14th February 2017 16:18

This is the location.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ps6d369d83.jpg

Dave T

Lord of Hog 14th February 2017 17:58

Should have added that I WAS aware that the centre console still has to be lifted but that's a small task compared to all that carpet rolling.

Interesting suggestion about the exhaust rubbers though. The one's on the rear were changed when I did the rear box a few months back but I suppose I could change the front ones. I couldn't get the same noise simply by getting underneath and shaking the exhaust but then perhaps it can't be replicated when static. I'll give it a go.

T16 14th February 2017 20:41

I find the compensator easiest to do from underneath.

Maybe I am remembering this wholly incorrectly, but I do not remember actually having to remove the exhaust... I think you can drop it off its hangars, and move to the side a little to allow access to the compensator rubber cover and inspect from there.

Hopefully someone with a better memory can advise