The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   coolant temp gauge slightly low (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311327)

peelaaa 26th February 2021 13:56

coolant temp gauge slightly low

Hi,

my cdti has already had the inline thermostat added but just today I noticed that the temp gauge is not exactly at the 2100 position. Its not far off mind, about 2030.
Have the inline thermostats been known to fail?

thanks
Ian

another_clean_sheet 26th February 2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by peelaaa (Post 2867656)
Hi,

my cdti has already had the inline thermostat added but just today I noticed that the temp gauge is not exactly at the 2100 position. Its not far off mind, about 2030.
Have the inline thermostats been known to fail?

thanks
Ian

Yes.
Use the IPK measurement to see what the actual temperature is

T-Cut 26th February 2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by peelaaa (Post 2867656)
- - - the temp gauge is not exactly at the 2100 position. Its not far off mind, about 2030.

The Trip Screen Diagnostic routine will tell you it's running at about 68-70°C, so the in-line stat appears to be leaking. What brand did you fit?

TC

peelaaa 26th February 2021 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2867684)
The Trip Screen Diagnostic routine will tell you it's running at about 68-70°C, so the in-line stat appears to be leaking. What brand did you fit?

TC

It was fitted before I bought car so I'll give it a check over the next few days.

peelaaa 26th February 2021 20:44

Checked this evening, It was max 75c, averaging about 72c over a 30 mile drive

T-Cut 27th February 2021 11:22

If the temperature has 'always' been there but you hadn't really noticed it before, then I reckon the in-line stat isn't the recommended type. It needs to be water-tight when closed otherwise the bleed-by will lmit what temperature the engine will attain. I'd suggest replacing it with one made by First Line, Gates or Mahler. These have been shown to perform best because there's little if any bleed-by.

TC

peelaaa 27th February 2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2867811)
If the temperature has 'always' been there but you hadn't really noticed it before, then I reckon the in-line stat isn't the recommended type. It needs to be water-tight when closed otherwise the bleed-by will lmit what temperature the engine will attain. I'd suggest replacing it with one made by First Line, Gates or Mahler. These have been shown to perform best because there's little if any bleed-by.

TC

The gauge had always been steady at the 9pm mark until recently so it must be failing. Cant see any leaks anywhere either.

What thermostat should I be seeking, the renault 5 one?, or is there a generic code for them?

T-Cut 27th February 2021 17:05

Yes it's the Renault 5 stat, branded with one of the names mentioned. I have no code or part number references. You'll almost certainly locate one on eBay.

TC

MacRob 28th February 2021 12:06

I have the recommended in-line stat provided by DMGS and works fine. As you can see the IPK temp is showing 86c but the gauge is barely over the quarter mark. That to me says there is a fault in the gauge reading not the temp sender or stat performance.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...b947b486fc.jpg

cb750chris 28th February 2021 21:10

Hi MacRob,
Have you tried running a 'Test 2.0' on your dash - to see if the cluster needles move properly?
If the needle moves correctly, the data stored in your IPK could be incorrect (there are7? temperature positions stored in the IPK to control where the needle points, and at which temperature).

Peelaaa, it definitely sounds like your inline stat needs replacing, as T-Cut has suggested.