The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   plans to change MOT to every 2 years (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319098)

macafee2 11th May 2022 17:43

plans to change MOT to every 2 years

The news has reported that the government are looking at changing the mot to every 2 years. Not a chain of thought I agree with.

I would have thought mot failure stats and reasons for failure would suggest every 2 years is not a good idea.

macafee2

mbev51 11th May 2022 18:00

Just like france

Borg Warner 11th May 2022 18:44

Whatever they decide I'll still get my trio MOT'd every year.

planenut 11th May 2022 18:58

They can persuade people that the expense of the MOT is reduced therefore reducing expenditure.
No mention of the fact that this reduces the income to MOT stations, who will reduce their staff, which will reduce the income to families, who will require benefit assistance.
Ultimately more vehicles will be on the road with faults in the care of people convinced that an MOT ensures the vehicle's roadworthiness!
So there.

macafee2 11th May 2022 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2931642)
They can persuade people that the expense of the MOT is reduced therefore reducing expenditure.
No mention of the fact that this reduces the income to MOT stations, who will reduce their staff, which will reduce the income to families, who will require benefit assistance.
Ultimately more vehicles will be on the road with faults in the care of people convinced that an MOT ensures the vehicle's roadworthiness!
So there.

Does it reduce expenditure? You save £50 this year and may be a small repair bill. The defect goes unattended for another 12 months and one may end up with a huge repair bill or even having to scrap the car.

We all want to save money but are the supporters of every two years the same ones that save on maintenance?

macafee2

planenut 11th May 2022 19:34

There would be a marked decrease in maintenance.

bikerdude666 11th May 2022 19:47

It could take a fair few older cars off the road when after 2 years, owners find their car needs a massive repair bill so scrap it and buy a new car...

coolguy 11th May 2022 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2931653)
It could take a fair few older cars off the road when after 2 years, owners find their car needs a massive repair bill so scrap it and buy a new car...

That's the plan!!!! It won't work with me.

Rick-sta 12th May 2022 15:32

not sure how I feel about it, in one way it'll be great for my Typhoon as I barely use it these days so annoying having to MOT it every year when it's done less than 1k miles a year recently. But at the same time there would be cars out there that could potentially do 30-40k miles without an MOT in 2 years.

Maybe a every 20k miles or 2 years approach would be better similarly to service intervals.

Martin Butler 13th May 2022 08:54

If your the sort of owner who keeps on top of your cars servicing requirements and looks after your car, then having to MOT every two years isn't going to be a problem, because your ensuring it is up together, but not every owner is like that, some will end up as spare parts because of neglect, not bothering to carry out repairs, until the tester hands you a long failure list .