The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Lowline to Hiline upgrade - started at last! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25452)

wptk999 25th August 2008 19:31

Lowline to Hiline upgrade - started at last!

Some of you may recall about 10 months ago I bought a load of satnav and audio gear as a job lot on ebay. From Denmark! Work, family and other cars have kept me busy but I've finally got around to installing it.

I thought it would be straightforward - after all, I had all the kit in a box.

Well, getting the car ready for the install was OK. Bit of a struggle getting the back seat out, but otherwise OK. Once I'd tidied up the new wiring harness, it wasn't too hard threading it all through the car. Once I'd worked out that it's easier if you started from the boot! I did it on my own, but it's really a two person job.

All the connectors are colour coded, so all the bits got plugged in. I decided to check it all before I threaded the wiring harness up through the dash.

It didn't work...... The CD changer clunked and checked itself. The screen on teh head unit had a white strip at the bottom, then nothing. And the red light on teh GPS unit came on. But that was it.

Fast-forward a couple of days and I've started wondering about the small, flat black connector that's near the big socket that joins the new harness to the radio connectors in the dash. There was nothing in the car that it would connect to. According the the manual, the matching connector should have been right there with the black and brown radio connectors. But nothing. After taking even more of the dash apart, and pulling off the cover from the sterring column, I still couldn't find anything. By now I'd worked out that this little connector is a vital link - it connects up the steering wheel radio controls and, even more importantly, it has the one essential wire that allows the new equipment to communicate with the rest of the car! An innocent looking white and red wire with yellow bands is the vital link to the K-bus!

Several hours later. and after comparing various versions of the wiring diagrams I figured out that the lowline unit connects directly to these vital wires and the little black connector doesn't exist in cars with this spec!

The K-bus wire is in one of the blue and yellow connectors that go into the lowline unit. The other wires for the steering wheel controls were in the grey radio plug.

10 minutes later they had been cut off and joined up with the wiresfrom the mystery black plug. And everything came to life!

The TV works, the cd changer changes CD's and the radio is just fine. I can't fully check the GPS as I still need to track down the discs (e-bay, here I come!)

So there you are, it is possible to do the upgrade from the basic low-line, providing you have the additional harness. Without that, you would never do it! Oh yes, and you need to do a bit of surgery!

Anyone need a spare head unit? I have two..... (and they both work)

Bill Kelly

stocktake 25th August 2008 19:36

Oooo I remember that Bill, wondered what had happened and where you got to. Thanks for taking the time to let others know your progress and well done on sussing it out

Kandyman 25th August 2008 19:51

Great News Bill and well done on getting it working in the end :D

heres a link to your other posts about buying the sat nav set up
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=10004

Reebs 25th August 2008 20:08

Well done Bill, what a task !!!

Your not alone in swapping from Low Line to High Line, Duotone has successfully done the same to his 75.

You can read how he got on in this thread: :smilie_re: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=13295

Perhaps you should both go into business together :D

Duotone 25th August 2008 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 225704)
Well done Bill, what a task !!!

Your not alone in swapping from Low Line to High Line, Duotone has successfully done the same to his 75

Perhaps you should both go into business together :D

Well done Bill..

Its a bit of a exclusive bunch of 75 owners who have completed this task.

Fellow members who have upgraded to Hi Line sat nav.

Myself [Duotone]
damydyo1
The Bear
wptk999

There may be other members who have successfully completed the upgrade, perhaps they can be added to the list..

Dave T

wptk999 25th August 2008 20:45

rain stopped play.....

Having got things working, the rain drove m eindoors (no garage, sadly).
But at least I can spend some time congratulating myself - and looking for the navigation CD's.

When I was checking the system, I noticed an AUX option on the main menu.
I think you may guess where this is going :)

Where are the input connectors for this? Anyone used it?

I've also been wondering about connecting up a Freeview tuner, ready for the digital changeover. Anyone else tried this? Powering the box should be OK, if I can find one with an external power supply unit. Or I could "borrow" the one from the spare bedroom....

I reckon the RF output would drive the TV tuner quite nicely.

And a DVD player would be nice if I can figure out where to connect it......

It's daft really, I don't need all this stuff, but it's a challenge!

Bill Kelly

Duotone 25th August 2008 20:52

Here is a link you may need.
It was sent to me by Stocktake.
It may be of some help..

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_TV_Navg...tructions.html

Dave T

stocktake 25th August 2008 20:55

Thanks Dave, saves me looking for it again. The av input is on the tuner in the bootwell the link shows you the pin info ( last diagram IIRC) but remember it is mono only. (white plug pins 4,5,6 & 15)

Reebs 25th August 2008 20:59

Thats any easy one, you need an adaptor loom which plugs in to the Video module in the boot.

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/rov_av.html

Then you simply run a couple of RCA (Phono) wires through into the cabin (or where ever you decide to site your DVD Player / Freeview receiver)

As regards putting in a Freeview tuner, I tried this with mine, using a battery operated handheld Freeview digibox that I'd already bought from Maplins.

I have to say that digital reception is problematic at best. On the move it is less than useless, but parked up you can sometimes get lucky.

Unlike analogue which will allow a viewable picture even if very poor quality, with digital it's all or nothing depending on signal strength.

Though to be fair I was using the units magnetic antenna stuck to the roof of the car when I did my test, perhaps the vehicle's own rear screen antenna might prove a better solution.

JohnDotCom 25th August 2008 21:01

You can get a Set of leads (often on EBay) which just plug in allowing you to Put DVD or Digital TV through the AV channel or anything else for that matter.
Stereo leads are also now available but at a cost, come with the BMW Connector Block to.

Digital reception will improve when Analogue turned off in your location as Digital Signal is boosted by 15 to 20%.

EDIT: Just beat me Reebs.

Greeners 25th August 2008 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 225718)
Well done Bill..

Myself [Duotone]
damydyo1
The Bear
wptk999

There may be other members who have successfully comleted the upgrade, perhaps they can be added to the list..

Dave T

Taken plenty out, but yet to fit any back in.....

stocktake 25th August 2008 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 225752)
Stereo leads are also now available but at a cost, come with the BMW Connector Block to.

How does the stereo lead work JDC. The tuner only has one audio input ?

JohnDotCom 25th August 2008 21:18

Not the BMW Digital Tuner and BM54 :D:D

stocktake 25th August 2008 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 225776)
Not the BMW Digital Tuner and BM54 :D:D

I do hope you like spending my money :D:D

JohnDotCom 25th August 2008 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 225790)
I do hope you like spending my money :D:D

Deduct it from the Paris Shopping Trip. :D

microcat36 26th August 2008 10:54

Would one of these DVB-t receivers work, i have one on my new head unit and it work great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Freeview-D...742.m153.l1262

wptk999 31st August 2008 10:09

How do I use Teletext on my new HiLine setup?

While I'm deciding which Freeview tuner to buy, plus a few other minor wiring niggles (like the new loom is a bit short and I don't have the proper mounting brackets for the Satnav unit.....) I've been playing with my new toys. I was delighted to find I can receive Teletext!

But how on earth do I enter the page numbers?

Is there some strange combination of buttons to use?

The rotary control selects sub-pages, but there's no way I've found to enter page numbers.

This will not, of course, be an issue when I get a Freeview box! Just need to decide where to mount the remote.:lol:

Bill Kelly

JohnDotCom 31st August 2008 12:02

You cannot enter page numbers direct on Teletext,
you use rotary control.
To fast and you zoom by, but quite easy when you get use to it and just as fast. :lol:

The_Monk 4th September 2008 06:52

Quote:

Well done Bill..

Myself [Duotone]
damydyo1
The Bear
wptk999

There may be other members who have successfully completed the upgrade, perhaps they can be added to the list..

Dave T

I have done it and have now upgraded a while back to the BMW Widescreen and BM54 tuner. Still running on analogue and MK3 satnav though.

Duotone 4th September 2008 15:57

Well done David..

Myself [Duotone]
damydyo1
The Bear
wptk999
Biggles
The Monk

Dave T

wptk999 7th September 2008 18:49

The final steps!

Finally got a navigation CD via ebay - the last piece of the upgrade puzzle, or so I thought.......

The CD was fine, and I finally had the navigation menus and could input a route.
Only the nav system wouldn't show the car moving - it thought I was still on my drive.

After bit more head-scratching, and using the service mode (very useful!), I realised there was no wheel sensor data. No connection to the ABS system.

According to all the diagrams, I shouild have had either a conenction in the original low-line head unit connectors or a separate connector to the main harness.

No such luck! Decided to trace the elusive slate/green wire from the ABS unit. I suspected it might not have been there but, having taken out the battery and dismantling the big connector, there it was.... Now, according to the wiring diagrams, that particular wire goes only to the sat nav,and nowhere else.

But could I find it inside the car? Absolutely not! I finally resorted to some acrobatics and pulled apart the loom under the dash (behind the glove box, where it comes through from the engine bay). There are several slate/green wires under there (door mirrors and speakers, to name a couple!) but I eventually found the right one and bingo! Working satnav.

I have no idea where the wire ends up, I'm not about to rip out the whole dash to find it. :lol:

The navigation now works just fine, although the maps do look a bit dull compared with the Garmin maps on my mobile 'phone. It's nice to have the spoken directions at a decent volume though!

Now, being me and liking a challenge, I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the software in the Mk3 satnav computer? Or am I looking at fitting a Mk4 satnav?

And how do I enter addresses using postcodes? Or is it not possible?

My next challenges are to find (or make) the harness to install the reversing sensors and to see if I can install cruise control. Anyone know where to buy the proper connectors for the reverse sensors?

Bill Kelly

JohnDotCom 7th September 2008 18:55

You can only Upgrade software on the MK3 if it is a BMW MK3 not a Rover/MG one I'm afraid.
A MK4 can be updated of course.

Postcode searches are available only for first 5 Digits of Postcode and only if Disc and software support it.
In First section of Setting up address thats where you enter the Postcode if available.
If no numbers shown you haven't got correct disc or software.

In the "set" menu do you have split screen facility?

wptk999 8th September 2008 04:40

Nav upgrade

John,

Sadly, I have a Rover Mk3.....and no split screen option on the Setup menu.

Looks like another visit to eBay will be needed:lol:

Bill

damydyo1 10th September 2008 23:30

Hello Bill,

I have been there and have read your story with pleasure in recognizing all the effort to succeed. You also did it and will hopefully encourage other members.

Be proud! :bowdown:

By the way: my thread http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ghlight=satnav ended with finishing the job exept for the live connection on the K-bus interface so my steering wheel remote controls didn't work as also the GAL function and all. It lasted 1 whole year to fix this finally because the Mrs wouldn't allow me to dismount the dash again!!! :pillow::sissy:The job only cost 10 minutes. I fixed it during our holiday in Spain as she happened to be at the beach.......:D

I wish you a lot of pleasure with your reborn satnav. More related projects please for the high line (MP3/SD/USB, video DVD screens in headrest, reverse camera, converters to DVD equipment....?)

Regards Ralph :driving:

Keith 12th September 2008 13:15

Any freeview decoder with a 12V supply should do.
The problem will always be providing a decent signal.

The tiny aerial in the corner in the rear screen is hardly adequate for analogue let alone DVB

When I installed Hi Line nav in my V8 I did not even have the rear screen connectors so I used a normal portable TV aerial which was ok for analogue (just)

You can see it along the parcel shelf here

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/user...ll/11/6808.jpg

wptk999 18th September 2008 06:03

TV and stuff

Thanks to all for your interest in my progress!

I'm still deciding which route to follow for Freeview - I'll let you know when I decide. I had a minor issue with teh TV antenna - my car must originally have had a very basic ICE setup because the rear screen has no connectors for the tv antenna. So I just used some insulated wire and hid it under the trim around the rear window. Works a treat! In theory, it shouldn't work (not tuned to the right wavelength and all that) but the TV system and the little antenna connector must be quite insensitive to such things and so it works OK.

Still need to try it out on digital though - that is more sensitive to such things. Still, as I don't intend to try watching tv while I'm driving, it won't be such a problem!

I've bought a cd to upgrade my satnav software (it's a Mk3 unit). The cd is a BMW one and the label says Sat Nav O/S upgrade V31 and says it will upgrade a Mk3 to 3-1/63. Anyone tried this? I'm not too bothered if it won't work as the cd wasn't that expensive, but I would like to try!

Other than me still working out out to work the sat nav it all seems to be working just fine. Except I think I could do with upgrading the speakers now I have the Harmon Kardon amp in the boot.....and a sub-woofer would be nice.....

One day I'll get it finished!

Bill Kelly

MN190 20th September 2008 11:09

Another one

Quote:

Well done Bill..

Myself [Duotone]
damydyo1
The Bear
wptk999

Dave T

You can add me to list - I'm almost there:D
Everything connected and works - trims need refitting and I need to transfer Nokia phone kit from the old loom to the new one.
Oh and while I have everything in bits run a power lead to the boot for a accesory plug

wptk999 21st September 2008 14:59

Before I mess up my satnav...

Just been reading some earlier posts and saw a reference to the Rover Mk3 satnav unit not able to be upgraded.

As I just bought a BMW software upgrade cd that claims to work with Rover units, can somebody tell me if I'll wreck my system if I try to install the new software?

If it was a computer, I'd back up the system but as it's not, I thought I'd better check!

Bill Kelly

JohnDotCom 21st September 2008 17:48

If it is a Rover Sat Nav MK3 software cannot be updated,
If a BMW MK3 software can be updated.
To add further confusion late 2004 and 2005 models had BMW MK3 units marked Rover on Label and can be updated.

You shouldn't damage/wreck your unit by trying to update Version number software.

wptk999 21st September 2008 18:35

Tried, and failed.......

Johndotcom,

Thanks for the advice - tried the upgrade disc and the system just refused to recognise it.......I will have to buy a BMW unit!

Incidentally, I passed through your neck of the woods this weekend on my way to and from Anglesey to visit my in-laws. I've spent loads of time in North Wales - used to install telephone exchanges for a living!

Nearest to you was probably Llanfairfechan - before they built the new road....which dates me somewhat!

Bill Kelly

MN190 21st September 2008 20:09

Has anyone who has done upgrade from loline got the OBDC data eg MPG, Range, Doors Open, Etc to appear on the main screen or is this just wishfull thinking

rt2 21st September 2008 20:16

Does the computer function appear on the menu? if not then you will not get this data.

MN190 21st September 2008 20:21

No computer function doesn't appear any idea which wire I need to connect to which to get this ?
Thanks
Mark

rt2 22nd September 2008 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN190 (Post 233819)
No computer function doesn't appear any idea which wire I need to connect to which to get this ?
Thanks
Mark

Sorry no idea.

K 5ive 22nd September 2008 09:50

I would love to fit all the hiline audio gear but I have too much Alpine gear sat on the shelf doing nothing. I will however be fitting the hi-line dials.

Keith 22nd September 2008 18:34

It is not exactly a wire on its own
The OBC info is sent over the Kbus to display on the screen afaik
If the nav was not connected to the Kbus you would not have anything working at all!

I suspect you have an early car and the cluster is not sending obc info to the correct bordmonitor address, Some owners of earlier cars had the same problem.

Try a resler K bus interface and see what is being transmitted on your car.

Duotone 22nd September 2008 19:05

Keith,
It seems most of us who has retro-fitted the Hi Line system do not have the trip computer function on the boardmonitor screen.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=trip+computer
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=trip+computer

From your previous posts about the T4 menu there is a option for Hi Line sat nav. As my car has not had a session with T4, I wonder if this would enable the Trip Computer option.

Just to confuse things further Dave [Stocktake] 75 has a Hi Line system fitted from new and he does not have the Trip Computer option.

Dave T

JohnDotCom 22nd September 2008 21:40

You should have the Computer Function on Screen.
I know this is the 16:9 screen but same on as 4:3 screen.

Poor Pictures as just popped out to car on drive.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...kWales0079.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...kWales0080.jpg

MN190 22nd September 2008 22:32

The computer option is not listed.
I do have the Television, GPS , Set and Screen Off options.

TMC is in black so will need to change to a VDO Nav CD

I will have to get it set up when it next goes for a service

JohnDotCom 22nd September 2008 22:35

My TMC is permanently on (Green) due to having a BM54 Radio unit,
which has dual Tuners as does the BM24 a straight swap unit.

MN190 22nd September 2008 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 234214)
My TMC is permanently on (Green) due to having a BM54 Radio unit,
which has dual Tuners as does the BM24 a straight swap unit.

One of these is on the wish list along with widescreen and dvd sat nav - once funds allow

Keith 23rd September 2008 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 234121)
From your previous posts about the T4 menu there is a option for Hi Line sat nav. As my car has not had a session with T4, I wonder if this would enable the Trip Computer option.

Dave T

Actually that is a a good point and I forgot about it
Anyone with the problem is welcome to pop around and I will set the dealer config option to Hi-Line then we can see what happens

Hans-Jørgen Siljan 22nd February 2009 07:41

Some problems after upgrading

Good morning to all of you

I've upgraded my entertainment system from the original Symphonie header (Philips XQD101090PUY) with glowbox mounted CD changer (Alpine XOE100430) to a high line Nav Sat system with an Alpine monitor (YIE000310PUY), radiotuner BM24 (XQC100440), TV tuner (YIC000110) and a BMW MK3 Nav. computer (not sure of the article no.).
It is working almost perfectly except for the TV and computer. I really dont care about the TV, but want the other functions to operate.

I've also installed the steering wheel interface (YWQ100031) but still have some problems :

1. The radio does not respond to my commands from the steering wheel remote controls? Have I missed something or do I use the wrong interface ?

2. If I hit a bump, the radio suddenly stop working. I then have to turn the radio off and on again to get it working again. Any experinces ?

3. I would like to reinstall the CD changer (preferably in the boot) but there are no awailable connectors ? Do I have to by a new CD changer or some new interfaces ? Any suggestions will be appreciated :-)

4. The last questions of mine is regarding the computer function in the monitor. I do not get any information at all. Do I have to install any more interfaces or units (I don't have the speedo with computer)

I'm gratefull to any feeback from you guys

Regards
Hans

Reebs 22nd February 2009 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Jørgen Siljan (Post 289167)
...It is working almost perfectly except for the TV and computer. I really dont care about the TV, but want the other functions to operate.

Hi Hans, welcome to the club. When you say the TV isn't working, does that mean you don't get the option on your menu screen, or that you can't get any reception?

The entire component set up for the high line system looks like this:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...ntslabeled.jpg

If you only get shash when watching TV, do you have the TV Amplifier? and is it connected to the rear screen antenna elements?

Quote:

I've also installed the steering wheel interface (YWQ100031) but still have some problems :

1. The radio does not respond to my commands from the steering wheel remote controls? Have I missed something or do I use the wrong interface ?

I can't help you here I'm affraid except to say that YWQ100031 is the correct part number for the interface.

Quote:

2. If I hit a bump, the radio suddenly stop working. I then have to turn the radio off and on again to get it working again. Any experinces ??

Are the connections to the tuner good and tight?

Quote:

3. I would like to reinstall the CD changer (preferably in the boot) but there are no available connectors ? Do I have to by a new CD changer or some new interfaces ? Any suggestions will be appreciated :-)

The Sat Nav computer is kept in the boot, so doesn't leave any space for the CD changer, which is why I goes in the glove box. The High line loom is designed that way.

Quote:

4. The last questions of mine is regarding the computer function in the monitor. I do not get any information at all. Do I have to install any more interfaces or units (I don't have the speedo with computer)

The Trip computer is generated by the Instrument pack, which needs to be the High Line version with dot matrix display, as you don't have it. The functionality will not be present unfortunately.

Hope that helps.

Hans-Jørgen Siljan 22nd February 2009 16:42

Thanks a lot for your advise Reebs

I don't think I have the TV amplifier but are they still available ? I haven't seen them on ebay or anywhere else. But since there are no more analogue TV left here in Oslo, I guess it won't work anyway ? Or are there any alterantives ? Digital TV ??

Regarding the interface YWQ100031, I have this in the boot together with the radio mudule ? Is that possible or have I misplaced several intems ? :confused:

I'll check the radio tuner for good connections, but it is funny though that it restarts after turning the radio-power off and on.

It's plenty of space in the boot :D, but if the loom is not prepared for installation of CD changer in my boot, I guess I'm not able to...

Another question - is it possible to have a DVD player/PSP connected to the system ? And is it possible to attach any additional screens ?

If I'm to change the instrument pack, would I change more that just the speedo to gain the computer functionallity ?

A lot of questions, but if you are able to help I'm greatfull :bowdown:
Regards
Hans.

Reebs 22nd February 2009 19:06

Updated This Reply

Yes the TV amplifier is still available from the usual MG Rover parts suppliers the part number being: XUC100771 Aerial Isolator.
Rimmer Brothers are selling it for £63.37 :smilie_re: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/...rtID=XUC100771

But the rear screen in your current car will not have the correct cables bonded to it that come from the in-built TV antenna, so even if you did get the aerial isolator, you wouldn't be able to connect it to the cars TV antenna.

Digital TV tuners are available, to replace the Video Module in the boot, you'd need to look for BMW compatible units. JohnDotCom has plenty of info on which units are suitable.

The Steering wheel interface should plug into the wiring harness in the dashboard behind the TV screen, not in the boot - that could be the cause of your problems.

Here is a picture of where I believe it should go, but I'm not absolutely certain.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...linterface.jpg

The instrument pack can be changed for a High Line unit, but you need to buy a brand new unused one, as it has to be coded to the rest of the car. It carries data specific to your car including mileage etc, and acts as a gateway to most of the cars electrical systems. Second hand ones cannot be adjusted to fit into new cars. So it's quite a costly excercise I'm affraid, as you need the car to be connected up to a T4 computer which MG Rover garages use to service your car.

In addition you need to replace the indicator stalk on the left side of the steering column with one that has the trip computer button selector on the tip. This is the only way to select and reset items on it. The TV screen only displays a full page of values such as fuel consumption, range til next fill up, 2nd trip distance counter, and over-speed limit value.

A DVD player can be easily connected to your cars TV A/V input, all you need is an adaptor like this one
:smilie_re: http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/rov_av.html

kingbigjohn1 16th November 2020 17:43

NO radio sound and mute on TV screen

Hi friends, I have problem, year ago my radio stop working in sunny days. No radio screen show. Show only TV on screen, navigation, menu and trip computer, consumtion..etc. Fuses are ok. 12V on the end of radio connector - ok- Changig radiomodule - nothing happend. Please help. ROVER 75 tourer 2,5 V6 automatic. Harman Kardon sound system HI-line sat nav. John