The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Front Coil Spring Snapped (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=138143)

StuartB 20th February 2013 22:21

Front Coil Spring Snapped

1 Attachment(s)
The wife had said I was putting on weight, so no surprise when I sat in the car this evening I heard a load bang and this was the result!

crofts 21st February 2013 05:20

Snapped Spring

Thank God neither of you were doing 70mph
Looks like it didn't penetrate the tyre ?
Often wonder if the corrosion has an effect. I treat mine with Waxoyl to try and avoid it..........only time will tell

StuartB 21st February 2013 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by crofts (Post 1228662)
Thank God neither of you were doing 70mph
Looks like it didn't penetrate the tyre ?
Often wonder if the corrosion has an effect. I treat mine with Waxoyl to try and avoid it..........only time will tell

Yes we feel very lucky the car was on the drive, tyre is still up this morning so hopefully not additional expense. I think corrosion is most likely as I've not hit any bumps or potholes. It's a 2005 so only 8 years old in a few days time, but has always been parked outside.

I may look to see what would be best to treat with them to hopefully get longer life from the new ones once they are on

MrDoodles 21st February 2013 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuartB (Post 1228586)
The wife had said I was putting on weight, so no surprise when I sat in the car this evening I heard a load bang and this was the result!

Good job that tyre needed replacing anyway! ;) :D

bartandrose 21st February 2013 08:38

Exactly the same thing happened to me over christmas ............. corrosion, but I lost the tyre.

Replaced and sorted now with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-F...item565043dc89

pab 21st February 2013 08:51

Some cars were recalled and Spring Protectors fitted, so in the event of a breakage the spring didn't penetrate the tyre. They item didn't seem to work anyway.

In your case the tyre is intact, lucky it didn't happen on the open road though!

dln6376 21st February 2013 09:31

Both of mine snapped in the same week in January, both front tyres needed replacing too! Luckily I was moving slowly both times. Fortunately replacement springs aren't expensive but it's a pig of a job as most parts that need to be dismantled are pretty grubby and seized.

My springs were likely weakened due to broken/worn top strut mount bearings so check and replace along with the springs.

Dave Goody 21st February 2013 10:06

A lot of reports every winter about broken springs, [on all makes of car]
luckily although almost weekly posts about this in cold weather I have never seen a report of this happening at speed. Always as the car pulls off slowly.
i.e. when the spring is very cold

wuzerk 21st February 2013 12:48

Springs

I think that you only hear of the springs which break at low speed because the ones which break at high speed result in a write off of the car and no further posts on here? The pic certainly shows corrosion and a regular painting with Waxoyl could have helped.

StuartB 23rd February 2013 14:56

Thankfully I was stationary on the drive at the time, but only minutes earlier had been at 70mph on dual carriageway!

Recovered to my local tyre centre (Kipling in Bletchley and highly recommended) on Thursday morning and they had it all sorted by Friday afternoon for me.

A new pair of coil springs, shock absorber mounts and 2 new tyres (as the one had been damaged) and with only 3mm left on the other side as well, best to get a new pair.

Complete with balancing, re-tracking etc a grand total of £479.00, so I think I got off lightly considering what might have been.

Have a great weekend all

Cheers

Stuart