The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sound proofing. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280771)

jackatesme 17th March 2018 11:51

Sound proofing.

Getting a lot of road noise,apart from under tray which i haven't got,what else would make my drive quieter. :shrug:

Jim Jamieson 17th March 2018 13:28

I’ve fitted a lot of extra sound insulation to the back end of both my 75’s

I’ve stuffed all the remaining apertures up with cushions filling. The missus bought it to make cushions then it sat for years so I pinched it :eek:

I’ve also fitted a good quality carpet underlay in and around the spare wheel well and tailored pieces behind the boot side trims.

It made a difference to the road noise.

I’ve still to fit an extra piece under the rear seat of my project car when I get round to re fitting the seat cushion.

chris75 17th March 2018 18:46

I have heard that tyres have different noise ratings :shrug:

hrissim 17th March 2018 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2607778)
I’ve fitted a lot of extra sound insulation to the back end of both my 75’s

I’ve stuffed all the remaining apertures up with cushions filling. The missus bought it to make cushions then it sat for years so I pinched it :eek:

I’ve also fitted a good quality carpet underlay in and around the spare wheel well and tailored pieces behind the boot side trims.

It made a difference to the road noise.

I’ve still to fit an extra piece under the rear seat of my project car when I get round to re fitting the seat cushion.

Wind deflectors are noisy if fitted:shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 2607927)
I have heard that tyres have different noise ratings :shrug:

Fact!

bl52krz 17th March 2018 21:17

I had some of the thick felt that used to be used in cars when the ark was about, and put it in the boot around the side of the floor.. It reduced the noise substantially. I have also cut some old carpet to fit over the original floor mat, and have floor mats over those. 1.5 tons of extra weight but it’s quiet.

neilll 17th March 2018 21:23

A V6 75 :D
Neil

COLVERT 18th March 2018 18:55

A bit of extra sound proofing can do no harm but the main culprits are the tyres.
Rover did quite a good job of the original soundproofing but of course they fitted good quality tyres.---Some replacement tyres can make quite a lot of noise from the off.---;)

madeupname 18th March 2018 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2608423)
A bit of extra sound proofing can do no harm but the main culprits are the tyres.
Rover did quite a good job of the original soundproofing but of course they fitted good quality tyres.---Some replacement tyres can make quite a lot of noise from the off.---;)

Hi Jon, I looked for quiet tyres and found Michelin all climate tyres were quiet. On the downside they can aquaplane in wet weather. Despite that I was thinking of getting some.
Which tyres are quiet and also have good grip? Thanks.

Ravinder 18th March 2018 19:58

Dunlop sport response are very good all round tyres and nice and quiet. One of the quietest out there.

COLVERT 18th March 2018 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeupname (Post 2608463)
Hi Jon, I looked for quiet tyres and found Michelin all climate tyres were quiet. On the downside they can aquaplane in wet weather. Despite that I was thinking of getting some.
Which tyres are quiet and also have good grip? Thanks.

I've fitted Firestone tyres ever since I bought the car 11 years ago. Good wet grip and reasonably quiet tyres.

At least I think so but my wife keeps telling me I'm going deaf.--:D