The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Window glass scratched (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303937)

thanos.m 31st March 2020 12:06

Window glass scratched

Hi everyone,
The windows on my 75 are very badly scratched up so I've kept the glass of my old car which is in decent shape does anyone know what what causes the glass to get scratched so I don't get the new glass ruined as well?

macafee2 31st March 2020 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanos.m (Post 2802666)
Hi everyone,
The windows on my 75 are very badly scratched up so I've kept the glass of my old car which is in decent shape does anyone know what what causes the glass to get scratched so I don't get the new glass ruined as well?

dirt in between the glass and rubber.
regular cleaning of the window and rubber may prevent it. I forgot one day, lowered the window to an awful screech and scratched glass

macafee2

Rich in Vancouver 31st March 2020 15:40

I just noticed scratches on the glass on my ZT the other day.
It's difficult to avoid this, particularly with a daily driver.
I can recall the same problem with my first MGB back in 1974.
Some things never change!:shrug:

Tenesmus 1st April 2020 23:45

Anyone tried polishing them out?

Rich in Vancouver 2nd April 2020 03:27

There are glass polishing tutorials on YouTube but I couldn't say if they would repair a large area. It would likely be easier to just replace the glass.
I have been thinking of trying to polish a wiper arm scrape off the windscreen of my MGF but worry I'll wreck it.

trikey 2nd April 2020 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenesmus (Post 2803089)
Anyone tried polishing them out?

Yes, cerium oxide works, but takes hours to do a very small area.

Heddy 2nd April 2020 09:39

I changed mine using a good scrappy one, the only thing as far as I can see for prevention of scratches is don't open them. I open mine about 25mm from the top. I live on the coast so a drive down the beach on a windy day is a no no really.

marinabrian 2nd April 2020 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2803098)
Yes, cerium oxide works, but takes hours to do a very small area.

On laminated glass such as windscreen only, it is impossible to polish tempered glass ;)

Brian :D

macafee2 2nd April 2020 10:10

I recall someone posting that the rubbers are too good at their job.
I have spare glass taken from a car at a scrap yard, it was in too good a condition to leave

macafee2

thanos.m 8th April 2020 18:22

I just replaced the glass and indeed the seals were full of dirt and grit I cleaned them very well but unfortunately after a few runs of the window up and down I started seeing scrapes appearing again which tells me the issues must be something else as that very window had stayed srape free for 18 years on my old car any ideas ?