The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best emmisions diesel or petrol? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311682)

donc 13th March 2021 18:47

Best emmisions diesel or petrol?

it's looking clear that emission esting is going to be more and more difficult with our cars. I have a 1.8t which only just scraped through the mot and I fear for its survival this time. Is there any evidence that diesel emission is easier to control. I would be happy to change to a diesel car if this is so.

Jamiewelch 13th March 2021 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2870898)
it's looking clear that emission esting is going to be more and more difficult with our cars. I have a 1.8t which only just scraped through the mot and I fear for its survival this time. Is there any evidence that diesel emission is easier to control. I would be happy to change to a diesel car if this is so.

Pretty much just a smoke test for diesels at the moment. As long as it doesn't chuck out clouds it will be fine :)

Technically an EGR delete will fail, but it is under the engine cover and from the side it will most likely look like it is there.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-8-2-2

Phil-T4 13th March 2021 19:43

Quote:

Not at all, the K series engines are on par with most other petrol engines, if yours only just scrapped through, then there must be something wrong with it, i recently tested a 220K 1.8 ZS which sailed through first time at 8ppm HC and 0.01% CO, the only ones i have trouble with are the VVC engine models.

torque2me 16th March 2021 13:49

Quote:

As one poster mentioned the test is not as stringent for diesel as it is for petrol.

Petrol - Co2 - is an air pollutant which effects the brain (carbon monoxide is lethal in enclosed spaces) and is blamed for the "greenhouse" effect i.e. warmer climate.

Diesel - NoX is lethal also in enclosed space. It is heavier than Co2 and thus is still more of an irritant even in diluted form. Those living next to a heavy tragic zone/throughway such as the South Circular will have this 'benefit'. Is certainly a long term health hazard for lung disease and conditions such as asthma (asthma cases have skyrocketed in the last couple of decades.

So, the question is, do you prefer to provide the means for warmer weather and mental conditions or do you much prefer to consign an unknown number of people to a more lingering death/condition?

Personally, I will be sticking to petrol until the Govt. provide electric vehicles for the disabled and/or over 66 years on subsidised terms!

Kev

clf 16th March 2021 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque2me (Post 2871512)

Petrol - Co2 - is an air pollutant which effects the brain (carbon monoxide is lethal in enclosed spaces) and is blamed for the "greenhouse" effect i.e. warmer climate.

Kev

CO2 - Carbon Dioxide - is a component of the air that we breathe and also vital to sustaining some forms of life on the planet, particularly those that produce Oxygen (although co2 is a component in exhaust fumes, and is relevant to the greenhouse effect).

Did you mean CO? for Carbon Monoxide? (or did you mean both :shrug:)

torque2me 16th March 2021 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2871516)
CO2 - Carbon Dioxide - is a component of the air that we breathe and also vital to sustaining some forms of life on the planet, particularly those that produce Oxygen (although co2 is a component in exhaust fumes, and is relevant to the greenhouse effect).

Did you mean CO? for Carbon Monoxide? (or did you mean both :shrug:)

Yes, better on the technical side and overall I did mean both as the Govt. taxes on Co2 emissions I believe?

Kev

Yorkshire GOC 16th March 2021 16:33

Quote:

My 1.8t is normally fine and London ULEZ compliant unlike many diesels -try the ULEZ site - if you are OK for this then as said for your engine to scrape through there is something wrong.