The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Whitby woes (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295203)

VVC-Geeza 23rd April 2019 15:01

Whitby woes

Seems Whitby has become a victim of it's own success.I love the place but I'm glad I didn't visit over the Easter holiday.What with the place being left like a tip by the record number of visitors, and parking meters on all the surrounding streets, I fear a last bastion of British seaside quaintness is coming to a an end. :(

BoroRover 23rd April 2019 16:33

Whitby is my favourite place. I have visited there hundreds of times over the years, but, as you rightly say, it is swiftly becoming a victim of its own success.
I visit mid-week,( I'm fully aware lots can't do this), even during Folk Week, my favourite week of all.
There has been much debate in local papers re the problem of litter, bins provided such as they are, are quickly filled to overflowing, with no staff to deal with the issue.
It will be a wise head indeed that solves that particular problem.
A local photographer posted a shot of the Swing Bridge almost impassable due to crowding.
It is slightly misleading though, the bridge had opened to allow a vessel to pass through, leading to a huge build up both sides of the bridge, who surged forward on the re-opening.
Still got the best fish and chips has Whitby :drool4::drool4:

MSS 23rd April 2019 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroRover (Post 2728922)
Whitby is my favourite place. I have visited there hundreds of times over the years, but, as you rightly say, it is swiftly becoming a victim of its own success.
I visit mid-week,( I'm fully aware lots can't do this), even during Folk Week, my favourite week of all.
There has been much debate in local papers re the problem of litter, bins provided such as they are, are quickly filled to overflowing, with no staff to deal with the issue.
It will be a wise head indeed that solves that particular problem.
A local photographer posted a shot of the Swing Bridge almost impassable due to crowding.
It is slightly misleading though, the bridge had opened to allow a vessel to pass through, leading to a huge build up both sides of the bridge, who surged forward on the re-opening.
Still got the best fish and chips has Whitby :drool4::drool4:

It's people like you then causing the problems!:}

The chip shop had burned down last year. Has it reopened?

BoroRover 23rd April 2019 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2728938)
It's people like you then causing the problems!:}

The chip shop had burned down last year. Has it reopened?

I'm happy to report the Magpie Cafe is up and running again.

I'm not part of the problem....I'm part of the solution :}:}

VVC-Geeza 23rd April 2019 18:14

Has anyone else spotted the white 75 Limo on the taxi rank opposite the railway station? I haven't seen it in a while though so may have been moved on.

rontug 23rd April 2019 19:05

I am in Whitby at the moment.glad to say its back to normal,(no litter) the traders had a brilliant easterweekend to star the year,The reason the bridge was so crowded in that photo was due to the bridge breaking down and people and cars were unable to cross

Briodyjl01 24th April 2019 11:10

Good place to park is the road down the back of the station keep on it to the end and there will be a steep hill infront to some cottages and the road turns to the right. to the left you can walk to the railway crossing.... theres parking down the side of the bushes for about 4 or 5 cars not many know about it.

VVC-Geeza 25th April 2019 13:03

I park about a mile along from West cliff.Only takes around 20 mins to walk back to the harbour, it's much better than feeding a meter £6 for the greedy council.

reworht 25th April 2019 17:27

The Park & Ride system works well - although I haven't used it on a Bank Holiday - I always give Whitby a wide berth on such days. Because I'm fairly local (half an hour ower the moors) and retired, we either pop in late afternoon, by which time a lot of the crowds are leaving to go home, or go mid-week and use the Park & Ride, which drops you right in the centre near the Co-op Supermarket.
As regards fish'n'chips, the Magpie isn't the only place that produces good grub - Trenchers, Hadleys and The Quayside are all worth trying - to name but a few ;)

Avulon 26th April 2019 07:41

We went on Saturday - It was heaving. (glad we weren't in the car) Still managed to get a pint in the jolly sailor, a nice piece of fish and a lemon top :D. Won't be going back on a bank holiday again though.