The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Increased sentence for animal cruelty (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296914)

Darcydog 26th June 2019 04:41

Increased sentence for animal cruelty

Pleased to see this in the News this morning. Michael Gove has increased the possible Jail Sentence for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 Years!

Long overdue IMO.

Number 6 26th June 2019 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2743300)
Pleased to see this in the News this morning. Michael Gove has increased the possible Jail Sentence for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 Years!

Long overdue IMO.

I agree, But it will only be any good if the Judges will apply the tougher sentence's.:mad:

AndyN01 26th June 2019 06:50

Good.

I'd actually like to see the "maximum sentence" for any crime removed to be replaced by whatever is considered appropriate.

So if, say, the scumbag that stole Mickyboy's tools was caught they could be sentenced to absolutely any time period at all.

If it turns out they've made a profession of it then maybe a decade or two away from the public would be nice for us.

Perhaps there should be automatic minimum sentences for re-offenders going up in, say, a decade at a time.

Maybe that would be some sort of deterrent from doing it again?

Andy.

Dallas 26th June 2019 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2743300)

Long overdue IMO.

Brilliant, about time.

trikey 26th June 2019 12:24

Sentence still isn’t long enough, should be 10 years at least, let’s face it most sentences get halved anyway!

VVC-Geeza 26th June 2019 13:10

How about a bit of "like for like" justice.Would be far more sattisfying and save the taxpayer some money.I can dream.....

Vossy 26th June 2019 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2743310)
I agree, But it will only be any good if the Judges will apply the tougher sentence's.:mad:

I agree, there is no consistency in sentencing at all, why is there a maximum allowed sentence for any crime anyway? Maybe jail terms should be decided upon by a panel of victims.

Judges and the government are so out of touch with reality these days, and it seems pretty clear the government has advised judges not to jail people unless they really have to because the jails are full.

Les4048 26th June 2019 14:16

It will never ever be applied, they’ll get a smack on the wrist and banned from keeping animals for a while at most. Way too soft on crime in this country

wraymond 27th June 2019 15:37

Don't think there is much doubt that sentencing is balanced against capacity. It wouldn't surprise me if magistrates and judges got monthly updates on seaside vacancies.

The thing that irks me is the tongue-in-cheek blase attitude to the term sentenced being reduced by half - that's a ruse to persuade, ha!, the prisoner to behave himself while inside rather than outside. Then fling him out to inflict all over again. A significant part of this problem is the life experience of the sentencer. Judges live in a rarefied atmosphere and are far less likely to experience what others do.

In the cases of cruelty to animals, which often leads to harming people, the conscience of the judge is only affected by emotion, the actual law comes second. In addition, parole panels should be identified and have their decisions examined by a wide selection of members of the public -let's say a reconstruction of the jury that produced the verdict.

Jay 27th June 2019 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2743374)
How about a bit of "like for like" justice.Would be far more sattisfying and save the taxpayer some money.I can dream.....

Exactly what I was thinking reading this post Mick. Good call.