The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Cortina Crusader (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303369)

Saga Lout 6th March 2020 19:26

The Cortina Crusader

4 Attachment(s)
I bought this Crusader Cortina a few years ago just as my eyes started playing up, it cost me the grand sum of £300 and a bargain. I've done some repairs to it where the `Zeibart` didn't do a good enough job. It's only done 72,000 miles and I hope to be able to use it over the Summer months with a bit of luck. It's like a lot of cars, you see rust and doom sets in. I see rust and a challenge to beat it, many cars have been lost by accepting that the rust wins. This car has some rust but it's incredible underneath, it's up there with museum quality but the tin worm got into it in a few places. I'm bouncing between cars to avoid the boredom that can happen with one job, I did this work a while ago but I'm back on it along with the Victor and other cars. A true labour of love for me and I'm happy again to be able to work on my cars at last.

KeithA 6th March 2020 19:50

Looking forward to updates on this!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

trikey 6th March 2020 19:56

I must be old, I still think of the Cortina Crusader as a modern car :D

VVC-Geeza 6th March 2020 20:28

Any pic's of the car itself?

Jim Jamieson 6th March 2020 21:21

Am I right in saying the Crusader was the run out model before the Jelly Mould sorry Sierra came onto the market.

trikey 6th March 2020 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2797485)
Am I right in saying the Crusader was the run out model before the Jelly Mould sorry Sierra came onto the market.

They released the Carousel too, I can't remember which was the last version though?

macafee2 7th March 2020 06:46

my sister had a mark 1 and my dad as a company car a mark 4 or 5.

I seem to recall a story but 40 years on and I could be wrong.
My sister had a rattle in her MK1 and took the car to a garage, they diagnosed a duff gear box.
She came home and spoke to dad who went to take a look........... he shut the ash tray!
In 1st and 3rd the gear leaver could vibrate against the open ash tray :)

macafee2

Saga Lout 7th March 2020 07:48

Yes.

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2797474)
Any pic's of the car itself?

Here you are, this was the day I went to collect it. I always wanted a Crusader but I was just 17 when they came out and they were about £5000 back then, I was a WEP worker and didn't have a hope in hell of getting one.

Saga Lout 7th March 2020 08:04

It was this.

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2797487)
They released the Carousel too, I can't remember which was the last version though?

The Crusader was the run out model, I had a Carousel back in the late 80's too. The real term for the MK5 Cortina was Cortina 80 but it just got known as the MK5. This car is from Hull, the first and second owners lived next door to each other, I'm the third documented owner, did I mention the Sierra I got about three years ago? This is mine, I believe it's the oldest one left in the UK, you should see the new stuff I have for this, the MOT history made it out to be a rot box, the truth is that it had some rust at the rear of the sills that has been repaired not too well. The guy had a dog that has chewed the rear of the drivers seat, I need to get a new cover but I have everything else. Note the sticker, `A dog is for life, not just the Christmas party`.

RPWC 7th March 2020 08:24

Nice to see the old Fords, what else have you in your collection Mike?