The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   handbrake dashboard warning light on while driving? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299980)

fabian 15th October 2019 12:26

handbrake dashboard warning light on while driving?

Hi there,

It happened a few times already. I have a 75 v6 2.5. This week the handbrake dashboard warning light suddenly on while driving. When the light was on, the central LDE showed a red screen with something fluid (the red screen went off so quick, I wasn't able to see what was written).

The warning light stays on unless restarting the engine. It happened 3 times during the car is running (warning light suddenly on and stay on, LED flash a red screen with a message for less than a second). I've checked the Fluid Level which seems to be ok (on the "max" mark). The brake is also fine, I couldn't feel any different when driving.

Any idea??

Richard

Avulon 15th October 2019 12:32

Check the brake fluid level.... urgently.

I should explain further - The dash warning light you are seeing is not just the handbrake warning light. It is the warning light for the whole brake system, and will illuminate for faults in the braking system, such as, low brake pad (from the wear sensors on the front and rear offside brakes). Or low Brake fluid. So if a message mentioned 'fluid' then it certainly needs the brake fluid checking. If the warning comes on without the handbrake, then it's a cause for concern and needs checking before driving again.

fabian 15th October 2019 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2768773)
Check the brake fluid level.... urgently.

Thanks for your information :)

The brake fluid level is on the MAX mark.

All brake pads are replaced a few months ago. As I know if I got a worn pad, it should show Brake pad wear light, which is a yellow light, not this red handbrake dashboard warning light

I was thinking about low Brake fluid, but the fluid level is on the MAX mark as I mentioned

what else I should check??

The light is not on all the time. It goes off after restarting the engine. Also, Unlike other warning messages on the LED, which stay on the screen until the problem is fixed, such as Engine Overheated, Traction Control off ... etc, this one only flash less than a second (I couldn't even see the message properly).

350zwelgje 15th October 2019 17:54

Besides fluid level and handbrake it also indicates if the electronic brake distribution (EBD) in the abs electronics is faulty. Handbrake switch ok, then clean the abs plug to the modulator (the abs ecu is on the modulator as well) which is under the battery tray. The plug can corrode and a clean could do then the trick. If still there, have a T4 session.... for further investigation.

Rob

fabian 16th October 2019 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350zwelgje (Post 2768813)
Besides fluid level and handbrake it also indicates if the electronic brake distribution (EBD) in the abs electronics is faulty. Handbrake switch ok, then clean the abs plug to the modulator (the abs ecu is on the modulator as well) which is under the battery tray. The plug can corrode and a clean could do then the trick. If still there, have a T4 session.... for further investigation.

Rob

Hi Rob

For ABS, sorry I have not mentioned this early. It's not working for a few years already. The ABS yellow light and Traction Control warning message on the LED are always on. Without ABS, The car still running fine. I don't have this handbrake dashboard warning light on until this week.

Avulon 16th October 2019 09:31

Well it's reassuring to know that you aren't running the brakes with low fluid.
Given that there's already multiple problems with the ABS / TC I'm not surprised if something new has cropped up.

fabian 19th October 2019 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2768945)
Well it's reassuring to know that you aren't running the brakes with low fluid.
Given that there's already multiple problems with the ABS / TC I'm not surprised if something new has cropped up.

Yes, the fluid is full and I still got a brake.

But the light is still on sometimes. What should I do for this?? whats else I can do to let this light go away?

SD1too 19th October 2019 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabian (Post 2769567)
But the light is still on sometimes. What should I do for this?? whats else I can do to let this light go away?

Get the original fault repaired ...
Quote:

Originally Posted by fabian (Post 2768902)
The ABS yellow light and Traction Control warning message on the LED are always on.

Simon