The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Door-Card 'slack Cloth Trim' (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312307)

Time Searcher 11th April 2021 12:04

Door-Card 'slack Cloth Trim'

Both front door cards fabric appears to have 'relaxed'. Is there an easy way to make them tight again bar replacing them, they are not really bad but I am looking at sorting a couple of items on the car whilst we are still in Lock-Down.:shrug:

roverbarmy 11th April 2021 13:12

I did hear a suggestion of PVA glue used with a syringe and needle, through the cloth. I've never tried it myself as I'm a bit scared of ruining the cards. You may be able to sponge off any excess as it is water based????? I may have to give it a go as the front two cards on mine have started to "droop" as you say! Powdered Viagara maybe!!!! :D You could take the cards off and remove all the rivets, that hold the card together , strip off the cloth, then spray upholsterers adhesive to refit.

JerseySteve 12th April 2021 07:48

I like many other have the same problem and keep putting it off. Saw suggestion on YouTube to fix syringe needle to contact spray adhesive nozzle and squirt that through the fabric. Personally do not think PVA would do a good job as likely soak into fabric, come through and show.

Azur 12th April 2021 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySteve (Post 2876357)
I like many other have the same problem and keep putting it off. Saw suggestion on YouTube to fix syringe needle to contact spray adhesive nozzle and squirt that through the fabric. Personally do not think PVA would do a good job as likely soak into fabric, come through and show.

I tried it with a small 0,5 mm needle, the result is not good, it is the backing foam that is the problem. Guess the only proper way is to get the card off, clean it, apply foamlayer and finish layer and refit it.

chris75 12th April 2021 12:01

Rimmers have these :
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001903
and at that price they will probably have them forever ! :eek:
Quite ridiculous .

Time Searcher 16th April 2021 12:23

Thanks for all of the suggestions, after putting the problem to Mrs.TS she said, 'What are you worrying about, it is 16 years old after all!:shrug:

rovertone 16th April 2021 14:38

A friend of mine had a vw golf as his holiday home runabout in Portugal and the headlining sagged to the point that when I drove the car, being tall, it rested on my head.
As a quick fix for him I used small pearl headed notice board type pins inserted through the cloth at c 45deg angle, I spaced them in rows approx 6" apart same between rows and it was very effective, so much so that several years later its still unchanged. Had I realised this I would have put more thought into using other colours and been a bit more uniform with the pinning pattern.
I am not advocating this for your 75 but it would work for holding back any sagging if its causing a problem while you sort a permanent fix.
Incidently this is a common problem on Golfs especially in hot countries and if you search on You Tube for headling replacement there are a number of videos showing what is involved to replace the lining which I guess would be similar to our cars. A messy job!

The Rovering Member 16th April 2021 16:20

On my replacement aubergine panels I used spray adhesive up through the hole where the handle goes & it worked well for a time but in places it's now loose again.
As already said, the disintegrating foam backing is the problem so the solution is a fairly straightforward but time consuming one. Remove the covered panel from the main door casing & replace the foam backing.
Depending on personal taste you could also change the covering too. l wouldn't but it's a possibility should you be so inclined.
Actually my original black door panels weren't sagging so l could do a straight swap rather than strip the covering.