The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   clutch pedal to floor (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=288718)

peelaaa 2nd October 2018 08:12

clutch pedal to floor

Hi,

My trusty tourer's clutch pedal is on the floor. it has done 233k miles. What should I do, repair, sell or scrap for spares.

Thinking of the latter as car worth hardly nothing if clutch gone and new clutch in these parts is at least 800 euros

Pity its gone, I've owned it since 23k back in 2008

planenut 2nd October 2018 08:24

Check the fluid level and consider bleeding before making any decisions, and check for leaks around the master. If the fluid is down, also check for oil around the base of the clutch housing.

I did have a "pedal to the floor" moment some years back and after fearing the worst, followed advice on this Club and had no problems for the next four years - all I had to do was top up and bleed.

hogweed 2nd October 2018 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2674036)
Check the fluid level and consider bleeding before making any decisions, and check for leaks around the master. If the fluid is down, also check for oil around the base of the clutch housing.

Definitely worth a try. If it DOES need replaced, and you could get a tow, the local Rover expert here (a bit north of Belfast) replaced mine for £250 or thereabouts...

peelaaa 2nd October 2018 09:34

There has a been a noise form the clutch for months now whenever the pedal was pressed. It was like a whirring sound, once the pedal was released the sound went away. No slippage or other noises.

Slave cylinder?

hogweed 2nd October 2018 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by peelaaa (Post 2674053)
There has a been a noise form the clutch for months now whenever the pedal was pressed. It was like a whirring sound, once the pedal was released the sound went away. No slippage or other noises.

Slave cylinder?

Sounds like it - that's what happened with me. Trouble is, it's sch a job to get to it on these cars that it's best to replace the clutch while it's all apart. But when I was living in England, I was charged something like £650, based mostly on many hours' labour.

The guy who fixed it here in NI did the whole job in about 2½ hours, which is why it was so much cheaper...

peelaaa 2nd October 2018 09:49

I put car in neutral, started engine. Can hear something scraping around under the bonnet,assume its the slave broken inside clutch. Does that sound correct to you? Pedal is still flat to floor, it can be released with your hand with ease, but there is very little resistance. Can't see leaks.

peelaaa 2nd October 2018 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2674054)
Sounds like it - that's what happened with me. Trouble is, it's sch a job to get to it on these cars that it's best to replace the clutch while it's all apart. But when I was living in England, I was charged something like £650, based mostly on many hours' labour.

The guy who fixed it here in NI did the whole job in about 2½ hours, which is why it was so much cheaper...

Who is the guy in belfast?

stevestrat 2nd October 2018 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by peelaaa (Post 2674057)
Can't see leaks.

The only evidence of a leaking slave will be staining around the drain hole at the bottom of the join between the gearbox and engine. Have you checked the fluid reservoir? Its a PITA to do, reservoir sits on the master cylinder at the top of the clutch pedal.

Ravinder 2nd October 2018 11:36

If you’ve had the car that long and it’s been reliable throughout and this is the first major thing that’s gone wrong with it, then get it fixed and enjoy it for another few years.

peelaaa 3rd October 2018 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2674080)
If you’ve had the car that long and it’s been reliable throughout and this is the first major thing that’s gone wrong with it, then get it fixed and enjoy it for another few years.

Its the 2nd time that clutch has gone but other than regular maintenance and wear and tea
r nothing else has gone wrong. I am now driving a 2017 ford focus for a short while. Yes its quieter but everything else is not good. Uncomfortable suspension, cheap interior plastics and one thing stands out. Rear windows are manual. Its a 2017 car!!