The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel thermostat definative answer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68468)

Jules 17th September 2010 18:31

You are correct Matt!
Not one of them I've changed in last 2 years has stuck open. (around qty 50 !)

Frank Incensed 17th September 2010 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 589416)
Not one of them I've changed in last 2 years has stuck open. (around qty 50 !)

Now you tell me! Or, if you told me before it must be the short-term memory loss.

James.uk 17th September 2010 18:56

Interesting.. End result is the same though, engine is kept cool due to water going through the rad too early and the owner freezes.. :o heh heh..

Are 12v heaters any good? ;) :D

T-Cut 17th September 2010 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 589416)
You are correct Matt!
Not one of them I've changed in last 2 years has stuck open. (around qty 50!)

It would be interesting therefore to actually test a duff stat in heating water to see exactly what happens to it. Logically, if the duff stats are always closed when removed, then the obvious explanation is they are opening too early in the engine.

Personally, I'll be surprised if that is the result. Opening at a much lower temperature than normal doesn't come over (to me anyway) as the direct result changes in the wax.

I assume these stats are wax stats and not some other system?

TC

Matt1960 17th September 2010 19:36

TC,
I believe it is wax that controls the opening.
But if it were not the wax degrading, would you be thinking that the spring tension is changing somehow?
My gut feeling is that it is more likely to be the wax.

Matt

Matt1960 17th September 2010 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by James.uk (Post 589431)
Interesting.. End result is the same though, engine is kept cool due to water going through the rad too early and the owner freezes.. :o heh heh..

Are 12v heaters any good? ;) :D

12v heaters are quite poor, I think. But before I retro fitted a fbh to mine, I would run a small fan heater from the garage and after 15 mins it had completely defrosted all the windows from quite thick ice and made the cab toasty.
Unfortunately my extension cable would not reach to drive to work.:)
Matt

r44712 17th September 2010 22:00

Thanks fo the tips, will have to gove the diagnostics a go! I do have one of those code readers that hooks up to a laptop and gives running info. WOnder if it'd give coolant temp.?

T-Cut 18th September 2010 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1960 (Post 589450)
TC,
I believe it is wax that controls the opening.
But if it were not the wax degrading, would you be thinking that the spring tension is changing somehow?
My gut feeling is that it is more likely to be the wax.
Matt

No, I don't go for the spring tension idea for reasons I've explained elsewhere. However, I'm not convinced about the wax either. As an organic chemist by profession, I can't see how a hydrocarbon wax can change under typical service conditions such that it dramatically reduces the opening temperature. Paraffin waxes are amongst the most stable of substances. Very difficult to alter, even using powerful chemistry. So, I'm basically undecided without more data on failed stats. That's why it's important to examine some to see how they operate in heated water. My gut feeling is a mechanical weakness somewhere in the design, but without the tests and observations, we'll probably never really know what happens to them.

TC

Matt1960 18th September 2010 09:59

TC,
Yes, I would agree that proper testing would give us the answer. Unfortunately I gave my faulty stat away to another member for him to source a hotter version, which never materialised. So I am unable to help.
Matt

Matt1960 18th September 2010 10:10

TC,
As I said earlier my gut feeling will be the wax, but could it be that the sealing of the wax might be at fault. Either coolant getting in to mix with the wax, or wax escaping past the seal.
Either might cause the gradual change in opening of the stat I would have thought.
Matt