The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel thermostat definative answer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68468)

rossocorsa 13th December 2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintee (Post 634121)
Who told them to drill an extra hole? :confused:

well I must admit I didn't expect it

Mintee 13th December 2010 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuzerk (Post 634114)
I am not very impressed by the quality of the 'British' stat.

To be fair the Meziere housing is such a quality piece of work almost anything else would look a bit shoddy.

But does its 'quality' really matter that much? It is only a device for holding a thermostat in place in a hose.

wuzerk 13th December 2010 09:22

Housing

Right cracked it! I blocked up the unnecessary hole with a 2 part epoxy putty,from Bid TV, but you could also use Milliput epoxy if available. The result was very encouraging.
With housing upright with 1 1/2" end uppermost the time taken for it to drain through after being filled with water was less than 10 seconds with the hole and more than 2 1/2 minutes with it plugged

MINTEE I said I am not impressed with the thermostat not the housing.

trebor 13th December 2010 11:38

second test for my UK version of the in line stat this morning on the 30 minute journey to work which is about 3/4 miles of B roads them Motorway.

Only takes about 7/8 minutes to get to the motorway and temp on the OBD was reading mid to high 70s by then ( previous max without stat was 75 ) .

Onto the motorway and peaked at 87 with a consistent 85.

I am more than happy with mine so far but with further developments around different stats etc i will keep an open mind about replacing the current one so keep up the good work guys as so far so good

COLVERT 13th December 2010 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuzerk (Post 634127)
Right cracked it! I blocked up the unnecessary hole with a 2 part epoxy putty,from Bid TV, but you could also use Milliput epoxy if available. The result was very encouraging.
With housing upright with 1 1/2" end uppermost the time taken for it to drain through after being filled with water was less than 10 seconds with the hole and more than 2 1/2 minutes with it plugged

I mentioned in an earlier post about a "jiggle pin" in the small bypass hole which acts as a catalyser for the release of trapped air.
The hole you have that lets water through in your experiment in 2 1/2 minutes may not let trapped air through !!!!!
It has something to do with surface tension of water against that of air.
The air sometimes, even under pressure from the water pump, will not push through a hole against water once the hole is below a certain size.
Which brings me back to the "jiggle pin "which stops this phenomenen happening.

Colvert.:biggrinsanta::biggrinsanta::biggrinsanta:

( It is cheaper to manufacture a thermostat with a large bleed hole than it is to make one with a "jiggle pin".)

:xmas-smiley-041:

COLVERT 13th December 2010 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuzerk (Post 634127)

What makes you think it was UNNECESSARY ??? :icon_question::icon_question::icon_question:
Just curious, and not a contretemps. HONEST. Lol.

Colvert.

:biggrinsanta::biggrinsanta::biggrinsanta:

t_i_m 13th December 2010 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 634171)
[COLOR=magenta]What makes you think it was UNNECESSARY ???:

See post 506 for why, hard to keep pace with this thread.

mamasboy 13th December 2010 12:49

Should this thread still be called the definitive answer:biggrinsanta:

calibrax 13th December 2010 13:04

Hmmm, yeah if it drains in 10 secs then that's way too fast! when under pressure it will let a whole load of water through. Think I'll solder mine before I fit it.

SteveB 13th December 2010 14:45

Just back from a 40 minute test drive having fitted my UK version (arrived this morning).

Before fitting, I blocked up the stat's drilled hole (which was 3mm !) with the smallest rivet I could find (which I think they call a 2.4). The stat still sat perfectly in the housing even with the rivet in place. A simple drain speed test before and after adding the rivet was about 7 seconds before and about 130 seconds after.

OK, observations from the test drive... Temp rose steadily to 85C (50% town traffic and 50% 60mph road) within about 4 miles. On the motorway at a steady 70mph, it rose quickly to exactly 90C, the stat opened and it dropped back to 85C in about 5 seconds, then rose again to 90C in under 30 seconds, and continued to do this. Back off the motorway and in to town traffic again, it sat at around 87C the whole time.

Once it was up to temperature, at no time did it drop below 85C or go above 90C, whatever the speed/load.

Outside Temp was between 4C to 2C throughout.

Previously before fitting the stat, my usual temp was 64C and the highest I'd ever seen was 67C !

So, an absolutey superb result as far as I'm concerned.