The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   One of my dismantling tips I thought I’d share (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311835)

Mickyboy 20th March 2021 21:04

One of my dismantling tips I thought I’d share

This is one of those tips I’ve always wanted to share but kept forgetting lol

If your dismantling parts on your car and dont want to lose the screws bolts washers etc, then you probably have the perfect thing in your house, a muffin/yourkshire pudding tin, and some masking tape, just put your screws in the muffin tin cups and then tape over the top with masking tape and write where they go,also keeps them safe if the tin gets knocked over.

Hope this helps someone, I always like sharing tips like this that cost nothing but could save time and hassle

Mick

MissMoppet 21st March 2021 09:13

I've bought myself a magnet cup that sticks on the car so every nut I take off goes straight away into it. See here eg

trikey 21st March 2021 09:25

I like to put the bolts back where they fit when possible, the rest go in magnetic trays.

I’m finding that a lot of the fasteners need replacing these days due to age / ham fisted folk who have been attacking them previously!

roverbarmy 21st March 2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2872439)
I like to put the bolts back where they fit when possible, the rest go in magnetic trays.

I’m finding that a lot of the fasteners need replacing these days due to age / ham fisted folk who have been attacking them previously!

The trouble with a lot of these "new" (DIY proof???) fasteners is that they don't want you to get them off yourself, so folks use the wrong tools because they don't have the correct ones. Ah for the days of UNC and UNF hex stuff! I could strip most of my old Ford Pop (sit up and beg type) with a 1/2" 9/16" spanner.:D

planenut 21st March 2021 11:18

I hang on to old margarine and ice cream containers, then I put all the pieces relevant to the part into one, and keep it with that part.

stocktake 21st March 2021 12:18

Far better than when I do things on the drive:

Steal a bowl out of kitchen drawer, place bowl on top of bins next to car.
Place every single bolt and nut in bowl.
Forget bowl is on bin and open bin to discard old part.

Wonder where bowl and nuts and bolts are.......:getmecoat:

squire 21st March 2021 12:29

That's the kind of thing I'd do :getmecoat::duh: then get a severe telling off from swmbo as well!

Martyn

COLVERT 21st March 2021 14:45

I use a number of different colour spray cans. Each nut and bolt and position it comes from has its own colour. Can't mix them up or even put them in the wrong hole. Never put short bolts where long bolts should go and visa-versa.---;)

The cans virtually last for ever as very little paint is ever need to do the marking.--Takes all the thought and worry out of re-assembly.---:D

PS. I just stopped myself from saying that it's so easy that you could do it with your eyes closed.--Lol.

macafee2 21st March 2021 15:07

I would also say that if you are going to reassemble, label parts. For example a label on the sub frame fixing for the what ever hose and then a label on the hose to say it fits to the sub frame.
If you have any labels hanging when you have run out of nuts and bolts.... you have a problem :)

macafee2

Lee T 21st March 2021 15:09

I use the plastic containers that my Indian food is delivered in, piece of masking tape on the lid to write where bolts are from, and reuse next job.