The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   swap 75 Connie Diesel Auto for X Type Jag (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=200061)

tankie1rtr 8th November 2014 15:24

swap 75 Connie Diesel Auto for X Type Jag

Hi All.
apologies if this is in the wrong section. I have a 05 Connie Diesel Auto, and I am thinking of offering to swap it plus cash for a Jaguar X Type Diesel Auto, I am going to advertise it in my local rag, but before I do I would like to ask if any of our members have had a Diesel X Type and how they rate them against the Rover 75. I also pull a caravan.
Cheers all
Tankie

RPWC 9th November 2014 15:36

MG STEPHEN has the very thing, and wants a an auto for his Dad or Grandad
:smilie_re:http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=197661

MGStephen 9th November 2014 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 1835973)
MG STEPHEN has the very thing, and wants a an auto for his Dador Grandad
:smilie_re:http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=197661

Already discussed. he needs an auto.

Thanks though for the mention :)

boater 9th November 2014 18:55

Hi Tankie

I have a 75 diesel tourer and an X Type diesel saloon.

They are quite different cars although both are likeable and practical in different ways.

My X is a 2.2 diesel which is rated at 152 HP and the 75 has had the 160 upgrade so on paper should perform in a similar way. In reality the X is much more responsive and is undoubtedly the quickest (probably down to the turbo). However, the Rover is more flexible and the quieter of the two. Both are economical but the Jag just edges it.

On the road the Jag is a harder ride being the Sport version with low profile tyres. The Rover is a more comfortable ride and this is helped further by more comfortable seats.

I think that overall the Rover is the least expensive to run, the Jag being more to insure and for parts but there is not a great deal in it.

Hope this helps.

Paulifa1 9th November 2014 19:08

Bear in mind the X-type is in a different league quality wise to the 75 (that would be much lower!) and often suffer from very severe, premature sill rot. :mad:

philjudo 9th November 2014 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by boater (Post 1836183)
Hi Tankie

I have a 75 diesel tourer and an X Type diesel saloon.

They are quite different cars although both are likeable and practical in different ways.

My X is a 2.2 diesel which is rated at 152 HP and the 75 has had the 160 upgrade so on paper should perform in a similar way. In reality the X is much more responsive and is undoubtedly the quickest (probably down to the turbo). However, the Rover is more flexible and the quieter of the two. Both are economical but the Jag just edges it.

On the road the Jag is a harder ride being the Sport version with low profile tyres. The Rover is a more comfortable ride and this is helped further by more comfortable seats.

I think that overall the Rover is the least expensive to run, the Jag being more to insure and for parts but there is not a great deal in it.

Hope this helps.

I'm in complete agreement with your observations, I also have 2.2 X type and a 160 remap on the 75.

The Jag is quicker than the 75 but less comfortable. Not really noticed any difference in MPG but to be fair I do drive the Jag harder and it's more responsive.

Quality a different league? Not really, just different.

Which one do I prefer on a long journey?

The 75 is more driver friendly in the comfort in the butt and numb legs stakes.

Would I buy another X Type? Yes but only a 2.2, if you google it. look on parkers, what car, autocar then you can make up your own mind

Paulifa1 10th November 2014 15:01

Hmm... Well if by different you mean 99% of 10 year old 75's are rust free with perfect sills vs. high numbers of X-types with rotted out, MOT failure sills, yes I agree they are different quality :D

I suppose if you are buying a young one without the intention of keeping it too long, it might not matter to some...

Anyone considering an X-type bucket really should google: "jaguar x type sill rust" and click on images, I hope you have a strong constitution though! The X-type really does have very poor corrosion resistance indeed...

philjudo 11th November 2014 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulifa1 (Post 1837011)
Hmm... Well if by different you mean 99% of 10 year old 75's are rust free with perfect sills vs. high numbers of X-types with rotted out, MOT failure sills, yes I agree they are different quality :D

I suppose if you are buying a young one without the intention of keeping it too long, it might not matter to some...

Anyone considering an X-type bucket really should google: "jaguar x type sill rust" and click on images, I hope you have a strong constitution though! The X-type really does have very poor corrosion resistance indeed...

Got a 56 plate 2.2 estate with 106k on with not a rust spot underneath or on the body except for a bubble under the rear hatch lock. My son has an 04 2l diesel X type with spaceship miles and again no rust so from personal experience I rate these X types.

Paulifa1 11th November 2014 09:14

I'm pleased for you that yours are rust free, but there's no denying a large percentage of them do suffer terminal rust prematurely.

I'm sure they are a nice enough car, but personally I tend to buy my cars already old and then keep them a long time, so I need to feel confident they won't turn to swiss cheese! :D

tankie1rtr 11th November 2014 18:14

swap 75 Connie Diesel Auto for X Type Jag

Hi All.
Well Thank You all for your replies, I have considered everything that has been said and come to the conclusion that I would be better off keeping my Rover. so that's what I am going to do, plus If I sold her, as soon as she left my drive I would be wanting her back. so mind made up. 'Keep'
Thanks again
Cheers Tankie :D