The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electrical seats stopped working. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=285648)

beinet1 9th July 2018 19:56

Electrical seats stopped working.

Hi all,

I am asking for a friend of mine which has recently aquired a nicely V6 saloon with electric seats (not memory). Both seats stopped working today while he was adjusting them and is now stuck in that position. He has checked the fuses under the glove compartment and they are fine. So what would be the next step to check?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Jamieson 9th July 2018 20:46

Maybe worth checking the multi plug underneath the seats for poor connection, especially if the car has had water leaks.

The heated seats on my Wedgewood 75 failed and this was the cause, simply bad connection at the multi plug.

klarzy 9th July 2018 21:35

if not fuse 51 or 53 in the passenger box then try the 50A link in the engine bay or the earth connections

beinet1 11th July 2018 06:07

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Does any ECU controls these seats? If so, which module and would there be any diagnostic equipment that can aid in fault finding?

klarzy 11th July 2018 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by beinet1 (Post 2648845)
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Does any ECU controls these seats? If so, which module and would there be any diagnostic equipment that can aid in fault finding?

Pull the big plugs underneath and check for 12v with the key in aux position

Only if they have the memory function will they have an ecu and then they should still work manually.

picky747 11th July 2018 08:37

My passenger side seat stopped working,fuses ok it turned out to be the yellow relay under the seat.

beinet1 11th July 2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarzy (Post 2648860)
Pull the big plugs underneath and check for 12v with the key in aux position

Only if they have the memory function will they have an ecu and then they should still work manually.

OK.

So with other words, its useless connecting diagnostic equipment for fault finding I understand?

klarzy 11th July 2018 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by beinet1 (Post 2648893)
OK.

So with other words, its useless connecting diagnostic equipment for fault finding I understand?

it wont show up on a t4 or obdii tester...

its a matter of have I got 12v at the seat, have I got a good earth at the seat. is the seat(s) mechanically jammed, is any of the wiring under the seat suspect, caught in the works / bodged... as both are faulty at the same time I would suspect supply or earth (ground / 0v), don't forget it could be the cabling between the fuse and the seat plug too, especially if someone has used it as a 12v supply for after market addons / heaters, led's and the like...

beinet1 12th July 2018 20:15

Thanks for the update!

Are there any wiring diagram available?

Den 12th July 2018 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by beinet1 (Post 2649394)
Thanks for the update!

Are there any wiring diagram available?

Don't go too far with the technical side (except checking fuses). Reach under the Drivers seat and feel for the two plugs and sockets and give them a squeeze together. These connectors often get disturbed when the seats are moved to their extents. I was advised of this action on this forum 7-8 years ago so I'm suprised no one else offered this advice. By the way this worked for me.