The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Thrust bearing failed AGAIN (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293280)

hogweed 23rd February 2019 20:44

Thrust bearing failed AGAIN

I had my clutch and cylinders replaced in November 2017, as the thrust bearing was very noisy (Wheeee when I depressed the clutch pedal). Unfortunately, less than 10,000 miles/16 months later, it’s starting to make the noise again.

Obviously I’m not happy – are there any particular reasons why this could have happened? My car is driven gently these days, and I don’t drive with my foot resting on the clutch, keep it in gear at traffic lights etc.

marinabrian 23rd February 2019 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2714212)
I had my clutch and cylinders replaced in November 2017, as the thrust bearing was very noisy (Wheeee when I depressed the clutch pedal). Unfortunately, less than 10,000 miles/16 months later, it’s starting to make the noise again.

Obviously I’m not happy – are there any particular reasons why this could have happened? My car is driven gently these days, and I don’t drive with my foot resting on the clutch, keep it in gear at traffic lights etc.

Was a metal slave employed?

hogweed 23rd February 2019 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2714235)
Was a metal slave employed?

Actually Brian... I do seem to remember him saying so at the time... is that bad?

marinabrian 23rd February 2019 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2714238)
Actually Brian... I do seem to remember him saying so at the time... is that bad?

I've come across this a few times now Roger, not enough grease in the bearing of the Tazu slave.

Polish quality control :getmecoat:

Brian :D

hogweed 23rd February 2019 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2714242)
I've come across this a few times now Roger, not enough grease in the bearing of the Tazu slave.

Polish quality control :getmecoat:

Brian :D

Great - just great. I've spent a poxing fortune on the car over the last year and a half, and now this again... well, thanks for answering the question anyway Brian, at least I know.

So... what kind of replacement would you recommend?

Cheers

hogweed 26th February 2019 17:16

Aaahhhh... been riffling through clutch-related threads, and see that Brian has previously recommended LUK slaves. I'll go for one of them then :}

Second mortgage here I come - no, wait, that was for the last load of work.
Third mortgage here I come...
Actually...

hogweed 26th March 2019 15:34

Update

Well, as we get closer to replacement time, turns out the clutch & slave were from X-Part, so presumably not TAZU…

Should be replaced in a week or two – no idea then why it failed after less than 10,000 miles (possibly a lot less – didn’t keep a record) :shrug:

EastPete 26th March 2019 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2722209)
Well, as we get closer to replacement time, turns out the clutch & slave were from X-Part, so presumably not TAZU…

Should be replaced in a week or two – no idea then why it failed after less than 10,000 miles (possibly a lot less – didn’t keep a record) :shrug:

They could be Tazu parts - I think X-Part have been selling Tazu metal master and slave cylinders as 'genuine' Rover items for a while now.

Pete

hogweed 26th March 2019 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastPete (Post 2722211)
They could be Tazu parts - I think X-Part have been selling Tazu metal master and slave cylinders as 'genuine' Rover items for a while now.

Pete

Oh really! Had no idea, and don't think my mechanic has twigged that either. He did say it was a metal cylinder when he originally fitted it - are TAZU the only metal ones?

EastPete 26th March 2019 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2722216)
- are TAZU the only metal ones?

I believe so

Pete