The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   White Smoke (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311427)

MacRob 2nd March 2021 12:02

White Smoke

I’m sure my car doesn’t want to be MOT’d.
Latest problem that has started today for no reason.
The car has started to produce white smoke when ticking over and when under power.
Cars only done 20 miles is 4 months and has just under 94k on it.
Any ideas as to what is causing it. I’ve tried getting it to temp and running it at fast idle for 15 mins but no change.
The crankcase filter was changed less than 4k ago along with fresh oil and the MAF has always been disconnected since I got the car 21 months ago.
Car is a manual CDTi with a EGR bypass, DeCat and a 160 map.

Ian G 2nd March 2021 12:12

I'm no expert but white smoke is usually a sign of unburnt diesel so possibly an injector issue.. I'm sure one of the tech guys will be along soon to say I'm wrong:D:D

Ched 2nd March 2021 21:15

Might well be a worn out injector, worst case is water entering the combustion chamber.

Get it on a t4 and monitor the injectors.

COLVERT 2nd March 2021 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2868550)
I'm no expert but white smoke is usually a sign of unburnt diesel so possibly an injector issue.. I'm sure one of the tech guys will be along soon to say I'm wrong:D:D

Over-rich burning diesel coming out of the back of lorries is usually black.-- I think our cars should be the same. Engine oil can look white or bluish in colour. Could be leaking turbo seals.---:shrug:

MacRob 3rd March 2021 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2868699)
Unburnt diesel coming out of the back of lorries is usually black.-- I think our cars should be the same. Engine oil can look white or bluish in colour. Could be leaking turbo seals.---:shrug:

seal inside the turbo or seals attached to the turbo or from the MAF pipe?

roverbarmy 3rd March 2021 09:33

Try drilling a 3mm hole at the lowest point of the back silencer box. When not run often, condensation accumulates there and can take ages to evaporate. The hole can be plugged with a self tapping screw and a dab of exhaust sealant for the MOT. It also allows the water to escape if left out and cuts the internal rotting of the box. This may not be your problem but if you are not losing coolant, it could well be.;)

Ducati750cc 3rd March 2021 10:50

Black smoke isn't unburnt fuel it is due to poor and incomplete combustion of the derv in the combustion chamber due to many factors, basically incorrect fuel to air ratio,( excess fuel or insufficient air ) seen often on a turbo diesel when the pedal is floored and an initial puff of black smoke occurs momentarily till the turbo spools up and the correct fuel to air ratio is attained

White smoke on the other hand, not steam, is caused by raw fuel, i.e. unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust, usually seen at first cold start on a worn engine or one where the heater plugs are u/s, again due to many causes, basically ignition temperature hasn't been reached in the combustion chambers and the atomised, unburnt fuel comes out of the exhaust with a prominent derv smell.

Blue hazy smoke obviously oil being burnt for various reasons.

Steam, obviously from water either in the fuel, coolant leak into combustion chambers, or especially with short journeys and a long time between journeys, as has been mentioned, a build up of water in the exhaust system which will need a good 20 or so miles fast run to get the full length of the system hot enough to boil the water off.

White and blue smoke and steam can look similar, a quick clue is that steam dissipates in the air quickly, blue smoke lingers with a smell of burning oil and white smoke lingers with a smell of derv.

When you say " The car has started to produce white smoke when ticking over and when under power."

On a hot engine white smoke from unburnt fuel wouldn't be expected to be seen and if fuel was not being burn't in a particular cylinder a consequent loss of power would be expected.

The causes of any of the above are many and varied so the first line of investigation is to determine if what you are seeing is from oil or water.

An exhaust gas test may show up some clues.

Mike Noc 3rd March 2021 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRob (Post 2868547)
I’m sure my car doesn’t want to be MOT’d.
Latest problem that has started today for no reason.
The car has started to produce white smoke when ticking over and when under power.
Cars only done 20 miles is 4 months and has just under 94k on it.
Any ideas as to what is causing it. I’ve tried getting it to temp and running it at fast idle for 15 mins but no change.
The crankcase filter was changed less than 4k ago along with fresh oil and the MAF has always been disconnected since I got the car 21 months ago.
Car is a manual CDTi with a EGR bypass, DeCat and a 160 map.

If you haven't already done it Rob try a bottle of injector cleaner - Forte is good stuff. Have had the same problem on two M47R engines and it sorted them both.

MacRob 5th March 2021 09:27

Just had a thought.
Would old diesel cause white smoke.
Ie, I've not put fuel in the car since August last year

roverbarmy 5th March 2021 10:02

I've always read smoke as follows:-
White smoke = steam
Black smoke = unburned fuel
Blue smoke = burned oil
:shrug: