The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Robber seal reviver (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296524)

hinged_bap 12th June 2019 08:00

Robber seal reviver

Ok, not a 75/ZT but relevant nonetheless due to vintage of vehicles.

My daughter has a mini cooper convertible and the seal where the leading edge of the soft-top bit meets above the windscreen is leaking ever so slightly at 1 corner. There is a rubber seal that runs the width where the 2 meet and I'm wondering its its gone a bit hard and not as effective as it once was. Considering the seal costs nigh on £250, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any positive experience of a rubber reviver, ( one that makes it soft again ) and if so which one.
TIA
Bap

BaroqueMoon 12th June 2019 08:51

I have found that Aerospace 303, or 303 Protectant ...or whatever they want to call themselves in different markets does a good job of keeping (silicone) rubber supple over an extended period.
Cleaning the rubber with IPA and following up with a rub down with a fine grit sandpaper will help before applying the 303.
Hope this helps.

macafee2 12th June 2019 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaroqueMoon (Post 2740039)
I have found that Aerospace 303, or 303 Protectant ...or whatever they want to call themselves in different markets does a good job of keeping (silicone) rubber supple.

but what about restoring suppleness?

macafee2

trikey 12th June 2019 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaroqueMoon (Post 2740039)
Cleaning the rubber with IPA .

India pale ale! I’d rather drink it 🤣🤣

genpk 12th June 2019 12:28

i tried a product called Risoline seal restorer or similar name to restore a crank seal which it did really well .
Had a bit left over and rubbed it on a bit of old rubber i had and i was inpressed how it softened it up and swelled it up a little.Might be good !!

slovcan 12th June 2019 12:45

A 50/50 mixture of wintergreen oil and rubbing alcohol works wonders to renew the old hardened rubber carburetor mounting boots (isolators) on 20+ year old motorcycles. Soak overnight - not sure how to apply in your application.

Cheers,
Glenn

hinged_bap 12th June 2019 14:37

thank you for the suggestions chaps, will investigate and weigh up the costs, Id never heard of rislene but they do all manner of stuff, quite pricey though.

EdgarDonaldBalls 12th June 2019 17:36

When I had my Celica a few years ago, I was recommended a product called GummiPflege to restore the rubber seals to cure leaks on the pillar less doors and the sunroof. It worked well, made the seals softer and did in fact cure all the leaks.

I am told it was developed by BMW to condition the seals on their convertible roofs but not sure how true that is, it definitely seems to be german.

I am planning to get some more to try and cure the leaky boot seals on the ZT, could have done with doing it last week though, it's rained, just a little bit in the last few days.

seansdad 12th June 2019 20:52

hood seals

you could try olive oil, it has always worked for me in the past on door rubbers etc but use good olive oil. hope this helps,

MissMoppet 13th June 2019 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by seansdad (Post 2740197)
you could try olive oil, it has always worked for me in the past on door rubbers etc but use good olive oil. hope this helps,

Virgin? Hard to find in these parts today.