The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Air bag warning light (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298193)

WinscombeWilly 8th August 2019 08:53

Air bag warning light

The air bag warning light on my 06 MG ZT will not extinguish. I have taken it to my garage several times and they have attempted a repair but it only lasts for a day or two before the light comes back on. I am not at all technically minded and the explanations the garage gives me as to what they have tried do not mean a lot. I know that they have removed the front seats on a couple of occasions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

suzublu 8th August 2019 09:19

Under both front seats are blue plugs & yellow plugs. Unplug & spray with contact cleaner. Plug together & unplug several times to clean the pins. Should help.

Beena wild 8th August 2019 20:35

Ahem.. there's a procedure with fiddling around with airbag connectors which i believe involves disconnecting the battery for at least 15 mins?:eek:

Phil-T4 8th August 2019 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beena wild (Post 2753675)
Ahem.. there's a procedure with fiddling around with airbag connectors which i believe involves disconnecting the battery for at least 15 mins?:eek:

Makes no difference, if the ignition is off then the airbag system is not powered and incapable of firing.

Teranchelope 9th August 2019 10:46

Does that mean the capacitors are inactive too? I thought you needed to allow them to dissipate? I have the same airbag light problem, on the passenger side I think. May try rubbing (lightly) Vaseline on the pins after contact cleaner to improve the contacts.

hinged_bap 9th August 2019 12:11

When I did mine, I left the existing connectors in place, and used scotch-lock connectors in parallel, worked OK albeit probably not one for the purists.
I beleive there is a technical bulletin around, about the connectors failing because of some gas that is emitted by the foam used in the seats

Tourist 9th August 2019 20:15

Same as above - I had this problem on my Rover 45 and also briefly on the 75.

I undid the multiplugs, and cleaned the contacts on the male connector and also made & broke the multiplug a few times after spraying with contact cleaner.

Once I'd tested to make sure the light had gone out, I put a blob of Vaseline on both of the connectors and pushed them together.

The Vaseline seals the plug and stops any further oxidisation of the contacts.

The Rover 45 lasted for the remaining 18 months that I owned it and was still going strong when I sold it, the 75 has been fine for two years now.

Rich in Vancouver 10th August 2019 03:57

hinged_bap
The Scotchloks may have identified the problem but now that you have proved the connectors are the problem it would be prudent to remove the jumpers and connectors and join the wires properly, either by soldering or at least with sealed crimp connectors. Scotchloks work by cutting through the insulation on the wires, and usually a number of the conductors inside. They make the wires weak and easily broken by vibration or an errant foot, and prone to corrosion from moisture ingress. You certainly don't want this on the airbag circuit.

hinged_bap 10th August 2019 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2753959)
hinged_bap
The Scotchloks may have identified the problem but now that you have proved the connectors are the problem it would be prudent to remove the jumpers and connectors and join the wires properly, either by soldering or at least with sealed crimp connectors. Scotchloks work by cutting through the insulation on the wires, and usually a number of the conductors inside. They make the wires weak and easily broken by vibration or an errant foot, and prone to corrosion from moisture ingress. You certainly don't want this on the airbag circuit.

fair comment. Attention: Sponge Bob, if you're reading this then it may be a job you wish to consider doing ( you have the car I did this to ).

ardvark 18th August 2019 16:37

How the hell do we get to these connectors? Do we have to take the seats out? I've moved the seats forward as much as they do and I still have'nt enough room to get to them thru the back door.