The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V6 2.5 hydramount to Diesel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=279297)

goofysth 11th February 2018 19:12

V6 2.5 hydramount to Diesel

Is it a good idea to put a hydramount from V6 2.5 (KKB101914) to a Diesel?
I found only the petrol version and it is urgent to change it... Thanks

Arctic 12th February 2018 10:34

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofysth (Post 2594763)
Is it a good idea to put a hydramount from V6 2.5 (KKB101914) to a Diesel?
I found only the petrol version and it is urgent to change it... Thanks

Hi Dragan
An hydramount from a Freelander 1 TD4 will fit but you have to modify it by cutting a bit off the thread, Rob & Steve recently did this on Rob's R40 diesel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...19.m1438.l2649

I am sure if Rob sees this post he would give more detail.

There is also this one which states which car it is for, but have never purchased one from them and fitted it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-...19.m1438.l2649

I have fitted a diesel hydramount to a petrol which the owner asked me to and it is alright so I am informed.

Are they different to each model ? I don't know but I suspect so.

Steve1966 12th February 2018 11:21

The original Rover hydramounts fitted were essentially the same dimensionally but the rubber hardness was different for the 3 engine types due to the differing engine weight which needed to be supported.

The 1.8 (blue paint spot) was 115 N/mm
The V6 (green spot) was 130 N/mm
The diesel (yellow spot) was 160 N/mm

These rates were designed to give approimately 8mm deflection due to the weight of the engine.

So, you could fit stiffer mounts to the lighter versions but I wouldn't fit either of the petrol mounts to a diesel as they will be less durable and may sink so low that they sit on the internal snubber increasing noise and vibration. The stiffer mounts will have noise/refinement penalties on the lighter engines but they will work.

On the MG versions we mixed things up a bit to increase the noise on purpose to give a more sporty sound but I can't remember what we did exactly. It was probably the V6 mount for the 1.8, and the diesel mount for the V6 and Diesel.

Steve.

Arctic 12th February 2018 11:34

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1966 (Post 2594946)
The original Rover hydramounts fitted were essentially the same dimensionally but the rubber hardness was different for the 3 engine types due to the differing engine weight which needed to be supported.

Steve.

Hi Steve.
I can't say I have ever seen any hydramount with any coloured spots on? I do know that recently the lower engine mount being sold have added spots due to the diesel mount being made in the same mould as the 1.8 mount, reason given the original mould got damage so spots have been added to know the difference, personally I think that system is open to abuse.

Therefore if coloured spots are on original hydramounts I have yet to see one, do you have a link anywhere to this reference please, because if that is the case I would doubt the one above I gave link to being a diesel hydramount for sure.? we have to trust these seller don't we really :eek: cheers Arctic.

Steve1966 12th February 2018 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2594950)
Therefore if coloured spots are on original hydramounts I have yet to see one, do you have a link anywhere to this reference please, because if that is the case I would doubt the one above I gave link to being a diesel hydramount for sure.? we have to trust these seller don't we really :eek: cheers Arctic.

No reference Steve only the fact that I developed the mount system with my colleagues at Rover Group from 1996 onwards. The original Paulstra (French) mounts had these spots on. They may have been omitted if Xpart had some remanufactured later.

The second link in your post shows a purple spot. This may be a later supply/supplier. We didn't use purple at-all originally.

Steve.

Arctic 12th February 2018 12:19

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1966 (Post 2594955)
No reference Steve only the fact that I developed the mount system with my colleagues at Rover Group from 1996 onwards. The original Paulstra (French) mounts had these spots on. They may have been omitted if Xpart had some remanufactured later.

The second link in your post shows a purple spot. This may be a later supply/supplier. We didn't use purple at-all originally.

Steve.

Hi Steve.
The fact that you were on the development then that is for certain a true reference then, so I have learnt something today :bowdown: I wonder if the purple spot is stating it is an after market mount? opposed to original

goofysth 12th February 2018 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1966 (Post 2594946)

These rates were designed to give approimately 8mm deflection due to the weight of the engine.

So, you could fit stiffer mounts to the lighter versions but I wouldn't fit either of the petrol mounts to a diesel as they will be less durable and may sink so low that they sit on the internal snubber increasing noise and vibration. The stiffer mounts will have noise/refinement penalties on the lighter engines but they will work.

On the MG versions we mixed things up a bit to increase the noise on purpose to give a more sporty sound but I can't remember what we did exactly. It was probably the V6 mount for the 1.8, and the diesel mount for the V6 and Diesel.

Steve.

Thank you for the details Steve, great info :)

Steve1966 13th February 2018 06:51

As embarrassing as it is to admit it, rather than leave incorrect info out on the web I would like to retract my statement regarding colour codes for the RH hydramount. The more I think about it the more I wonder if the colours I mention are for the 25/45/ZR/ZS range of mounts. I worked on everything during the Longbridge MG/Rover years. I worked solely on the 75 from 96-99 but this was 20 years ago. In my mind I can see other colours also, and we used colours to differentiate between prototype mounts of differing stiffness during development and have doubts about what was what. Also I seem to recall the base of the hydramount having a stamped letter. I wonder if this dictates the fitment. If anyone has a factory fitted (not replacement) mount that they have removed from a 1.8, V6 and diesel that would confirm the existence/letter used. Regarding the relative stiffnesses, I'm happy about that and the statement about suitability still stands.

Steve.

Arctic 13th February 2018 10:29

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Steve.
Thank you for coming back to us with your memory findings, I just went over the photo's of the last hydramount I changed for a member, I could not see any stamping of a letter on the one taken out and the one put in it's place.

maybe if I had took more notice of the base then I would have recorded it, I am sure we will find out sooner or later.

When you first said about the coloured dots on the mount I thought I have never ever seen any? and if they are on the 25/45 models then that is why.

As you can see from the photo's below I doubt if the old mount I took off the car I would have seen anything from the mess of it :eek: Arctic

Steve1966 13th February 2018 10:59

It looks like the decision to delete the wire strap that prevented the mount going into tension under torque early(?) in production probably didn't help with durability. I can see that's a V6 but on the diesel, especially with the later 135 and then 160 remaps, it's no wonder they fail. The mount system was developed with the strap and with a 115PS diesel.