The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ABS/speedo problem? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298675)

hogweed 24th August 2019 18:33

ABS/speedo problem?

Was driving along earlier today when I heard a faint tapping from under the front of the car somewhere – shortly after that, the ABS light came on. Car’s driving normally, but the light has come and gone all day (mostly come).

This all happened a long way from home. As I was driving back, suddenly the speedo needle dropped to 0. It stayed there a long time, then began a pattern of slowly climbing up to 30 or 40 (I was doing 70 or so), then dropping back to 0 again for a while. Them every so often, it would indicate my correct speed (amazing at how good I proved to be at guessing!)

Do these symptoms indicate a single fault, or worse? Any advice appreciated.

PS don’t know if it’s relevant, but about ½ an hour before it happened, the front o/s wheel got a bit of a thump in a pothole…

Ta :D

Tim JMGRs 24th August 2019 20:30

ABS sensor, right hand front wheel.
Tim

Dawn 24th August 2019 21:27

What Tim says. I had it on my first 75. The fuel gauge can actcweird with it as well, bizarrely!

hogweed 24th August 2019 21:34

Thanks chaps. Yes haven't had the fuel gauge (I think) but the Range went up to 750 miles at one stage, on less than ½ a tank... then back to normal a bit later.

I've read a whole pile of posts since posting, and I was cautiously coming to that conclusion, but best to hear it directly. I wonder if the pothole could have dislodged something... anyway, sounds like it's relatively safe to drive till the man with the T4 gets back from his honeymoon ;)

p2roverman 24th August 2019 22:58

You don't need a T4 check, just fit a replacement OSF ABS sensor.

hogweed 25th August 2019 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2757658)
You don't need a T4 check, just fit a replacement OSF ABS sensor.

Cheers. I need him to do the job for me though ;)

hogweed 25th August 2019 10:31

Or... could I do it myself? Realise that's hard for anybody else to answer, but it would really depend on how much dismantling would be needed. Don't fancy much more than taking the wheel off!

vitesse 25th August 2019 10:39

Depends really on a) if it’s just the sensor or b) the bearing playing up, and how much the existing sensor likes its home. Sometimes these sensors don’t like being evicted and need to be drilled out (without damaging the bearing!). You could try unbolting the sensor and see if it comes out (I doubt it) and if it does then it’s very easy to fit a new one. Otherwise it’s much more than just a wheel off job.

Regards

ratchet 26th August 2019 14:53

Just in case it turns into a pig of a job, and whilst the speedo is still working - take it for a run and note down what revs and what gear you need to be in to keep within speed limits.......or keep your sat nag switched on when driving.

I'd also check the cable and connections are good before attempting to remove the sensor.

hogweed 26th August 2019 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratchet (Post 2757982)
Just in case it turns into a pig of a job, and whilst the speedo is still working - take it for a run and note down what revs and what gear you need to be in to keep within speed limits.......or keep your sat nag switched on when driving.

Already noted :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratchet (Post 2757982)
I'd also check the cable and connections are good before attempting to remove the sensor.

Yes, thinking that, as it happened after banging the front wheel… is it obvious where the sensor is when you take the wheel off?