The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   brake pad warning light wiring diagram (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305805)

sln8458 20th June 2020 17:48

brake pad warning light wiring diagram

Hi All,

The brake pad warning light has been on for a while. Trikey has fitted a plug shorting the two wires together and put the light out, but I want to trace the broken wire and repair the wiring so I can re-instate the the plug and put the circuit back to 'factory'

So, does anyone have a wiring diagram of the two sensors up to the plug in the engine bay?

SteveN

marinabrian 20th June 2020 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2820084)
Hi All,

The brake pad warning light has been on for a while. Trikey has fitted a plug shorting the two wires together and put the light out, but I want to trace the broken wire and repair the wiring so I can re-instate the the plug and put the circuit back to 'factory'

So, does anyone have a wiring diagram of the two sensors up to the plug in the engine bay?

SteveN

It is the black plug, and simply unplug the shorting link, and plug in the new sensor, you don't need a wiring diagram.

The adjacent blue plug is for the ABS sensor ;)

Brian :D

Atlan 20th June 2020 18:55

Pad Wiring

1 Attachment(s)
A senor may have failed but here you go.

sln8458 21st June 2020 08:48

Thanks Guys,

Maybe I didn't explain clearly :shrug:
The shorting plug fitted by Trikey is in the engine bay.
The fault appears to be the wiring between the 2 sensors and the plug in the engine bay, not a faulty sensor.

I had the light come on for a while, then go off for a while, ....... Then came on and stayed on. Trikey fitted the plug to get the car through the MOT as having the warning light on is a failure regardless of how much meat is left on the pads.

So all the wires are the same colour, that makes life a little more fun when tracing the fault:duh:

SteveN

SD1too 21st June 2020 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2820180)
The fault appears to be the wiring between the 2 sensors and the plug in the engine bay ...

You're right Steve and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the front wheelarch (which you've removed). What happens is that the cable from the sensor pops out of the metal bracket on the suspension strut. When you then apply full steering lock the tyre makes contact with the cable, erodes the insulation and eventually severs the conductors inside and bingo, your brake pad warning light illuminates.

So begin your rectification work by buying a new sensor complete with cable and plug (aftermarket are cheaper) and fit it but use cable ties to ensure that it cannot be released from the retaining bracket. The odds are that this will solve your problem without any further work being necessary.

Simon

sln8458 21st June 2020 09:55

Thanks Simon,

You are a bit ahead of me here:
Quote:

front wheelarch (which you've removed).
:D:D
SteveN

raykay 21st June 2020 10:33

As in SD1too's post - the sensor wiring. The circuit is from the instrument panel, through the front sensor, through the rear sensor, and then to Earth. When the circuit is broken by the sensor wearing away, the Earth connection is broken and the warning light is switched on.
As shorting out the plug re-connects the circuit (in place of the break in the sensor cable) the Earth connection cancels the warning light.

COLVERT 21st June 2020 12:54

Find the wiring break and just join the ends back together again.---:duh:

sln8458 22nd June 2020 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2820212)
Find the wiring break and just join the ends back together again.---:duh:

That is the plan, but first I have to find the break:getmecoat:

SteveN

marinabrian 22nd June 2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2820334)
That is the plan, but first I have to find the break:getmecoat:

SteveN

Take a look at the offside rear plug, it resides behind the back part of the arch liner.

If either is open circuit, the lamp lights, I have disabled both sensors on the entire fleet, it simply isn't required as I can see how much meat is left on the pads through the wheel.

Brian :D