The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2.5 V6 heater problem hot>cold>hot (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302651)

Roverguest 5th February 2020 14:31

2.5 V6 heater problem hot>cold>hot

Hi,

On the V6 Rover 75, the heater has started going cold, and on investigation it appears (could be coincidence) that when accelerating it warms up, and at times gets nice and hot for a time before going cold again.

Initially I thought perhaps a stuck thermostat but doing the diagnostic shows and engine temperature as I was test driving around local roads around 100 degrees, certainly plenty for a toasty heater.

Coolant level is fine

Thanks in advance

trikey 5th February 2020 14:37

You have an airlock in the system, have a search on here for the correct procedure for refilling the system, this should sort your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roverguest 5th February 2020 14:40

Would that be likely despite the car not having had any work done since buying it last week? (when the heaters were fine)

trikey 5th February 2020 14:47

Yes, if it hasn’t been done correctly then it will keep happening until resolved I’m afraid.

Roverguest 5th February 2020 15:18

Coolant level is same as it was on picking up the car.
Would air only get in with a leak ?

trikey 5th February 2020 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverguest (Post 2791138)
Coolant level is same as it was on picking up the car.

Would air only get in with a leak ?

No! The coolant level will remain the same with an airlock, the coolant won’t be circulating around the whole system properly.

Roverguest 5th February 2020 18:11

On a side note, It’s a 02 reg, and I think a 3 speed fan as no visible relay, but no fan kick in until coolant reaches 112 on the diagnostics on IPK.

Fan works with AC

What would this indicate?

trikey 5th February 2020 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverguest (Post 2791166)
On a side note, It’s a 02 reg, and I think a 3 speed fan as no visible relay, but no fan kick in until coolant reaches 112 on the diagnostics on IPK.

Fan works with AC

What would this indicate?

Sounds like your low speed is dead too, this needs sorting as it could lead to other issues if left.

SD1too 6th February 2020 07:34

Quote:

... and I think a 3 speed fan as no visible relay ..

David, your profile says that you have a 1.8T engine but you are definitely asking about a KV6? Please confirm. By the way, it's not a relay it's a resistor.
Quote:

... but no fan kick in until coolant reaches 112 on the diagnostics on IPK.

As Trikey says that usually means low speed failure, or in the case of a 3 speed fan low and medium speed failure, which you should repair immediately. This will involve removing the front bumper.
Quote:

Fan works with AC

1. Start the engine from cold.
  2. Press the windscreen demist button.
  3. Get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille.
  4. Is the radiator fan running continuously or is it pulsing on and off periodically?

Please report back asap.

Simon

robeire 6th February 2020 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverguest (Post 2791130)
Hi,

On the V6 Rover 75, the heater has started going cold, and on investigation it appears (could be coincidence) that when accelerating it warms up, and at times gets nice and hot for a time before going cold again.

Initially I thought perhaps a stuck thermostat but doing the diagnostic shows and engine temperature as I was test driving around local roads around 100 degrees, certainly plenty for a toasty heater.

Coolant level is fine

Thanks in advance

hi if all else fails this is what i done

rob
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=301860