The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Spider Worry (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308105)

planenut 23rd September 2020 21:11

Spider Worry

I don't have a problem with spiders, they actually have not read the same books I have, and I suspect they don't know what we are.

My daughter on the other hand freezes at the discussion of spiders, and her and her partner are currently having several house visitors of rather large size. A further discussion with her on the telephone this evening was again ended by her "going off on one" with the appearance of another near her.

She would not let me inform her of my recent encounter in my loft. (this took place over a period of seconds) In the semi darkness I suddenly noticed something in my peripheral vision, about the size of a lobster and I felt the hair on the back of my neck go up. Then I realized what I had seen was an electrical connection box with the wires going from it all over the place.

Funny old world.

trikey 23rd September 2020 21:17

I used to be terrified of spiders, I find them quite nice creatures nowadays, so much so they share our living space, I wont disturb one if it is in the house.

BoroRover 24th September 2020 06:52

I too leave them be, except when I see them on my bedroom at bedtime. I move them to another room, I can't rest unless I remove them.

One exception...I spotted a false widow lurking near my front door the other morning. Not a very nice species, had to go...hoovered up pronto.

macafee2 24th September 2020 07:41

why when we are the size we are, are we terrified of something so small?

I don't like them but when you have children you cannot show fear. I've broken out in a few sweats in years gone by picking up spiders. Just like the dark, don't show fear to a young child, tell them it is all ok and laugh

macafee2

planenut 24th September 2020 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroRover (Post 2838469)
I too leave them be, except when I see them on my bedroom at bedtime. I move them to another room, I can't rest unless I remove them.

One exception...I spotted a false widow lurking near my front door the other morning. Not a very nice species, had to go...hoovered up pronto.

Interesting that, where did you then put the vacuum cleaner?

BoroRover 24th September 2020 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2838493)
Interesting that, where did you then put the vacuum cleaner?

Straight out into the garden, gloves on, collection bag taken out , sealed with tape, and binned to await the bin men.

Oh, and 20 gallon of water to pour into the bin as a Plan B. Nah, not really :D

edwardmk 24th September 2020 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2838436)
I don't have a problem with spiders, they actually have not read the same books I have, and I suspect they don't know what we are.

My daughter on the other hand freezes at the discussion of spiders, and her and her partner are currently having several house visitors of rather large size. A further discussion with her on the telephone this evening was again ended by her "going off on one" with the appearance of another near her.

She would not let me inform her of my recent encounter in my loft. (this took place over a period of seconds) In the semi darkness I suddenly noticed something in my peripheral vision, about the size of a lobster and I felt the hair on the back of my neck go up. Then I realized what I had seen was an electrical connection box with the wires going from it all over the place.

Funny old world.

Lol. Those things we just register out of the corner of our eyes in the gloom.
I try to leave spiders alone now. I saw one of those really long- legged random web spinners drop onto a clothes moth from no-where, so fast (and unexpected). I hate clothes moths since they destroyed most of the house carpets a few years ago. Huge infestation took a lot of work to clear up. Trouble is, those spiders can quickly become an infestation too.:shrug:

RPWC 27th September 2020 19:52

They only get one treatment from me, either a size 11 boot or a rolled up newspaper

RPWC 28th September 2020 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2839134)
They only get one treatment from me, either a size 11 boot or a rolled up newspaper

No sooner had this been posted and there was a scream from my wife upstairs. She had encountered a huge beastard, it had sneaked close to my slipper to try and keep a low profile. No way was I going to lift the slipper or it would have disappeared under the bad, so the afore mentioned size 11 boot was utilised.;) I have also sprayed spider repellent around all the outer door areas.

wraymond 28th September 2020 07:54

I don't like them and don't want to get to know them as friends. But for the life of me wouldn't harm them. They belong to a much longer line than we do and have so far resisted the temptation to overcome and subjugate us. Also, I confess to multiple leg jealousy. Oh no, I've started to imagine again.:devil: