The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fitting bonnet struts (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316912)

Tigermoon 20th December 2021 14:57

Fitting bonnet struts

I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me as to how to fit new bonnet struts on a ZT. Have looked in the Haynes manual and it's rather vague, ie., 'pull out the spring clip at the bonnet support struts...............', but how? Any suggestions much appreciated.

macafee2 20th December 2021 15:15

from memory, wiggle a screw driver under the side spring clip on the opposite to the strut and prize (is that the correct spelling?) the spring clip off. Be careful it does not spring into oblivion, I think you may even be able to get away with only half removing the spring clip.
The strut will then just pull off the mounting peg. Once you do one you will find it easy

macafee2

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 20th December 2021 15:43

Get yourself a broom handle or length of timber about 4ft long to prop open the bonnet whilst a strut is removed.

Southern Star 20th December 2021 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver (Post 2913116)
Get yourself a broom handle or length of timber about 4ft long to prop open the bonnet whilst a strut is removed.

If his bonnet struts need replacing, he's probably got one of those already. :icon_lol:

trikey 20th December 2021 16:22

You don’t need to remove the spring clip fully, just lever it out a little way while pulling the strut off the ball.

This job is much easier with two people!

75driver 20th December 2021 16:30

Just asking as I may get round to doing mine someday..🙄
Is it difficult (or are there tips?) to compress the strut and fit in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 20th December 2021 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913117)
If his bonnet struts need replacing, he's probably got one of those already. :icon_lol:

:laugh:
Yes, mine lives in the boot....

Southern Star 20th December 2021 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver (Post 2913121)
:laugh:
Yes, mine lives in the boot....

I have the Deluxe version- an aluminium pole from an old rotary washing line.

Must get round to doing mine sometime, where's a good source for them?

MSS 20th December 2021 17:28

Until I replaced the bonnet struts on my Omega, I used a 47mmx15mm length of planed timber with notches cut either end so it held the bonnet securely. These things have to be done properly.

I bought a pair of aftermarket struts rather than Vauxhall genuine. They lift the bonnet up with such a force that it feels the thing is going to fly off.

Ducati750cc 20th December 2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigermoon (Post 2913110)
I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me as to how to fit new bonnet struts on a ZT. Have looked in the Haynes manual and it's rather vague, ie., 'pull out the spring clip at the bonnet support struts...............', but how? Any suggestions much appreciated.

You can't do better than see what these have:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate

Have a look, loads of info, even a how to vid for removing struts.

They will make specials, even re-gas some struts.

They are not expensive, have fast postage and give advice.

I once was replacing a wooden locker lid with a steel one, much heavier than the wooden one, the original ones were not up to it, a chat on the phone, a few questions and a pair were with me in a couple of days.

They make struts for all sorts of things, I've used them many times over the years for struts for cars, caravans, boats and lockers.

I have nothing to do with the company, just a happy customer.