The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Yet more brake issues............... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308560)

FLYING BANANA 13th October 2020 16:45

Yet more brake issues...............

................................ on the Bear. Having had all 4 disc’s and pads replaced we now have a collapsed flexi pipe on the n/s/f causing the piston to be stuck on the disc. This is not the first time this has happened, three and half years ago we had the same issue. Luckily for me I had bought a load of spare flexi pipes off of Trikey after he sold his V8.

Car is now in the garage. Allen followed me up to give me a lift home.

trikey 13th October 2020 18:55

Glad to hear its being sorted Bob.

FLYING BANANA 13th October 2020 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2842191)
Glad to hear its being sorted Bob.

The garage is “old style”. It’s run by 3 brothers who will track down and rectify the fault. They work on everything from Bentley’s thro’ to tractors and on to Aston Martins.

bl52krz 13th October 2020 20:52

I wonder what could be the cause of it collapsing? Especially as it’s the second time .

edwardmk 13th October 2020 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2842212)
I wonder what could be the cause of it collapsing? Especially as it’s the second time .

Wonder if when it was last worked on the flexi was clamped tight while bleeding the brakes and this may have revealed a weakness in the one which failed?:shrug:

DeeJ 14th October 2020 14:40

Quote:

I think it appears to be age rather than mileage. Pretty complete service history indicates that my Rover 75 V8 rears were only changed for the first time after 330,000 kms (200k miles) at 14 years. Confirmed as being failure when the MOT-man tugged on one which then came off in his hand! Cracking was evident on the other.

David

FLYING BANANA 16th October 2020 16:24

....................and she is home.

The pipe had collapsed. So new pipes fitted all the way round. New Calliper on the o/s/f. Brake fluid replaced. Wallet somewhat lighter. But the Bear stops a lot better.
We had to come home the long way round as the A38 was closed owing to a serious accident. Many thanks to Allen for giving me a lift.

COLVERT 16th November 2020 16:41

Quote:

It's normally the inside of the pipe swells up. When the sides touch it creates a valve system.
The pedal pressure pushes fluid past the obstruction but the fluid can't flow back by itself. ( No return pressure. )

This makes the brake pads press continuously against the discs.
Only cure: new flexi brake pipes.---:D

The pipe actually swells rather than collapses. The brake fluid over a long period of time is the cause of the swelling of the rubber. The outside of the pipe has the same appearance so nothing can be seen until it becomes internally blocked.

It makes itself known when the owner starts to smell the over heated brake pad material and maybe smoke from under the wings.