The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Frustration With Those Front Wishbone Bolts (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306838)

planenut 31st July 2020 12:09

Frustration With Those Front Wishbone Bolts

Well it took me another four hours today getting those bolts back in, after at least four on Wednesday. Ended up filing a chamfer on the bolts and threading them in four times before again locating the bush mount. I realize the angle of the bracket affects locating the bolts, but there is space around the bolt - so frustrating.

ADO282 31st July 2020 16:19

I've just done mine today, over a pit, the job took 20 minutes, the other side on axle stands was a nightmare over six hours.

Having the weight of the car on the suspension definitely helps.

Chris

COLVERT 31st July 2020 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2828225)
Well it took me another four hours today getting those bolts back in, after at least four on Wednesday. Ended up filing a chamfer on the bolts and threading them in four times before again locating the bush mount. I realize the angle of the bracket affects locating the bolts, but there is space around the bolt - so frustrating.

You just carefully jack up the suspension leg. This turns the bush housing and the bolts drop straight in. Did mine a few months ago.

planenut 31st July 2020 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2828314)
You just carefully jack up the suspension leg. This turns the bush housing and the bolts drop straight in. Did mine a few months ago.

Thanks, tried that and many various methods. Interestng to watch the housing changing position to achieve nothing.

Rich in Vancouver 1st August 2020 01:25

I've been putting the job off for many months in spite of having the parts on hand.
I am thinking it may be easier to just drop the front subframe as a winter project replace tye arms and bushings, and give it a sandblast and coat of paint while I am at it.
Anyone done it that way?

Mike Noc 1st August 2020 07:01

It's only two bolts Rich. Either do it on ramps or gently use a G clamp to get the bush in the right plane and then tap it into position - a small mirror makes it easier to check when you are exactly over the threaded hole. Once one bolt is in and nipped up you can move the bush into position to align the second hole.

Whatever you do, don't use a spanner on the bolts until you know they are correctly threaded. :}

macafee2 1st August 2020 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2828349)
I've been putting the job off for many months in spite of having the parts on hand.
I am thinking it may be easier to just drop the front subframe as a winter project replace tye arms and bushings, and give it a sandblast and coat of paint while I am at it.
Anyone done it that way?

I did sort of, I changed my sub frame and hope to get old one shot blasted and painted.

macafee2

COLVERT 1st August 2020 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2828320)
Thanks, tried that and many various methods. Interestng to watch the housing changing position to achieve nothing.

I used one of those small round mirrors on a telescopic arm to look down into the bolt holes. Washing up liquid on the rubber bush and arm. The bush can then be tapped along the arm to the correct position to insert the bolts.

genpk 1st August 2020 22:09

those bolts are pains, when i did mine i cross threaded one bolt.
Ended up cutting a slot in side of the bolt to clean the thread out and let it re cut the thread which worked.
Surprised me how easily these big bolts can be cross threaded.
Did on a pair of ramps and was a pain.

COLVERT 2nd August 2020 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpk (Post 2828535)
those bolts are pains, when i did mine i cross threaded one bolt.
Ended up cutting a slot in side of the bolt to clean the thread out and let it re cut the thread which worked.
Surprised me how easily these big bolts can be cross threaded.
Did on a pair of ramps and was a pain.

Ramps, so difficult. I couldn't do it.

Borrowed a friends pit. Not too difficult like that but care needed not to cross the threads.