The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another rattle - driving me potty (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11602)

Raistlin 9th November 2007 14:00

Another rattle - driving me potty

ANOTHER dashboard rattle has developed :(

The BCU and associated bits and bobs are pretty much surrounded in foam.

In addition, this rattle is silenced by placing one's hand on the dashboard just above the left hand centre air vent.

Any ideas would be appreciated please

Tom Collins 9th November 2007 14:24

How about leaving one's hand on the dashboard just above the left hand centre air vent.

SteveWaller 9th November 2007 14:29

I found that spraying silicone grease around the back of the dash helps to cure quite a few of the rattles and creaks. Maplins sell it in a tin. I still have an annoying buzz from the boot area that I think is the wooden panel over the spare wheel and/or the foam jack holder (goes away when the boot is full). I read in another post that using a glue gun around the back of the vents also cures most of the dash related rattles.

pondweed 9th November 2007 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by collit (Post 104526)
How about leaving one's hand on the dashboard just above the left hand centre air vent.

that would be really dangerous when driving. better to employ someone to sit next to you and place their hand there. Or, get a well weighted plastic hand and glue it in position. Which also would have the advantage of being a good conversation starter when picking up foreign hitchhikers.

Raistlin 9th November 2007 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveWaller (Post 104534)
I found that spraying silicone grease around the back of the dash helps to cure quite a few of the rattles and creaks. Maplins sell it in a tin. I still have an annoying buzz from the boot area that I think is the wooden panel over the spare wheel and/or the foam jack holder (goes away when the boot is full). I read in another post that using a glue gun around the back of the vents also cures most of the dash related rattles.

Thanks very much. That's helpful.

I can see the idea of the grease but I'm not too sure about glue ;)

Simon 9th November 2007 19:31

The air vents can move about a bit, especially in weather such as of late where the car is cold and then hot air is blown through the vents (and vice versa in summer). Not sure there's too much you can do about this bar the silicone grease method around the joins of the vents where the rear of the vents in the dashboard fascia join to the pipework behind the dash. Could be one of all manner of screws/nuts behind the dash working a bit loose. Best method would be to strip dash and attack all nuts and bolts in sight and retighten them all - perhaps a bit over the top though.... :o

Specifically, I'd say it's the left vent you mention. Either the fascia itself or the vent has become a bit loose and is moving around a bit.