The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Diesel ban, Bristol (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300490)

gnu 3rd November 2019 07:10

Diesel ban, Bristol

There’s been a lot of talk about this. Now it’s happening in Bristol:

‘Bristol is set to become the first city in Britain to ban diesel cars under the toughest measures yet seen to combat air pollution.

The city council wants to prohibit diesels from entering part of the centre from 7am to 3pm daily to cut dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2).

It will apply to all diesels, irrespective of age, including the cleanest Euro 6 models registered since 2015. Owners of petrol cars will be exempt, though research shows that older petrol vehicles release high levels of emissions.

Drivers who ignore the ban will be fined as part of the measures, due from March 2021. Motoring groups labelled the plans “unprecedented” and said that many low-income families would be hit.’ Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...cars-kbrlz6ttw

Anyone going to be affected by this? Fortunately mine’s a petrol.

genpk 3rd November 2019 07:16

i can see this being the thin edge of the sword.
Council beauracrats trying to be enlightened greens.
We have councils over here trying to enact rules no one wants

SD1too 3rd November 2019 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnu (Post 2772975)
... to ban diesel cars ...

Only cars? What about the "dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide" from vans, HGVs, buses and coaches?

It's always the private motorist who pays.

Simon

Bogbrush82 3rd November 2019 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2772983)
Only cars? What about the "dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide" from vans, HGVs, buses and coaches?
Simon

They earn more money than the average motorist, so the lack of time they spent at the pumps isn't as much of an issue.

It's all about money, and naff all about emissions.

mileshawk56 3rd November 2019 10:12

Bristol has always been a bit of a Animal Farm outpost. Chris.S.

victorgte 3rd November 2019 10:13

Until there is a suitable alternative to driving through a city it will not work.
Look at the brilliant park and ride system in Oxford. So good we plan to use it every time we go there.
Parking is free. Bus charges a couple of £ each return journey. Takes about 15 minutes. You could of course walk if you have the time.
Cheaper than parking charges, no hassle finding a place to park, someone else does the driving and you can be there all day with no extra charge.
If the car was banned outright in Cheltenham centre tomorrow it would be fantastic. Not because of the climate warrior clan of which I am not a member but the experience of walking through a town centre with no traffic.
We should protect our town and city centres by removing vehicles altogether and giving us a better experience with al fresco dining and much much more. Who wants to eat a cream tea with a bus flying past?
Ball crocks to the environment, the high street and its traders are dying because we are not changing it fast enough. Make it a destination place not a chore. How many of us dread going to the city or town centre because it’s an awful place to go?

grivas 3rd November 2019 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpk (Post 2772977)
i can see this being the thin edge of the sword.
Council beauracrats trying to be enlightened greens.
We have councils over here trying to enact rules no one wants

Get them deselected!.

Russel 3rd November 2019 15:33

In Southampton the cruise ships and container ships cause more pollution but they are still blame diesel cars

Russel 3rd November 2019 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2773016)
Until there is a suitable alternative to driving through a city it will not work.
Look at the brilliant park and ride system in Oxford. So good we plan to use it every time we go there.
Parking is free. Bus charges a couple of £ each return journey. Takes about 15 minutes. You could of course walk if you have the time.
Cheaper than parking charges, no hassle finding a place to park, someone else does the driving and you can be there all day with no extra charge.
If the car was banned outright in Cheltenham centre tomorrow it would be fantastic. Not because of the climate warrior clan of which I am not a member but the experience of walking through a town centre with no traffic.
We should protect our town and city centres by removing vehicles altogether and giving us a better experience with al fresco dining and much much more. Who wants to eat a cream tea with a bus flying past?
Ball crocks to the environment, the high street and its traders are dying because we are not changing it fast enough. Make it a destination place not a chore. How many of us dread going to the city or town centre because it’s an awful place to go?

Now there's the truth if you ever need it

bikerdude666 3rd November 2019 17:38

Just yet another reason for me to not bother visiting Bristol, and I was born there and all my family are still there! (mostly on the outskirts though). As long as they don't try incorporating the M4/M5 into any anti diesel scheme.