The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do we need another Diesel Thermostat Thread (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309774)

ceedy 10th December 2020 08:07

Do we need another Diesel Thermostat Thread

Well you're 'avin it . :D:D.

Stat problems & Solutions are well docemnted on the other threads..

But what if ? ... despite all the solutions, the car stiill will not get hot ?

I've been effing about with various thermostats for ages and despite this my old Dizzle @ 162k just will not get anywhere near the recommended operating temp.

Lucky if it ever gets over 80 , and that pretty rare and only on hot days.

managed 78 after 15 miles this morning ? but it was quite chilly out .

its been like that with all sorts of different temp stats being tried.

Currently using a DMGRS 88 degree .

Seems to just runs very cool , Shall i just take the rad out :D

Chris

Avulon 10th December 2020 08:42

Have you considered changing the temperature sensor?...

clf 10th December 2020 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2853123)

Stat problems & Solutions are well docemnted on the other threads..

But what if ? ... despite all the solutions, the car stiill will not get hot ?

I've been effing about with various thermostats for ages and despite this my old Dizzle @ 162k just will not get anywhere near the recommended operating temp.

Lucky if it ever gets over 80 , and that pretty rare and only on hot days.

managed 78 after 15 miles this morning ? but it was quite chilly out .

its been like that with all sorts of different temp stats being tried.

Currently using a DMGRS 88 degree .

Seems to just runs very cool , Shall i just take the rad out :D

Chris

I am guessing when you say the 88, it is the oem one? As dmgrs inline ones are 86.

If it is the inline one, I had issues exactly like yours. The inline ones can let too much coolant by and cause this. Fit a whaler 89 degree one. Had it in for 5 years now and still responding as expected.

Test its bowl for water tightness prior to fitting, any more than a few drops of leakage per minute, I would reject for this application.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

roverbarmy 10th December 2020 08:49

Petrols - Suck, push, bang, blow. Diesels - Suck, push, bang, cough! :getmecoat::xmas-smiley-040::xmas-smiley-035::xmas-smiley-035::xmas-smiley-035:

Mike Noc 10th December 2020 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2853123)

Well I don't but if you feel the need then why not! :xmas-smiley-008:

If Avulon's suggestion doesn't improve things then may I suggest two easy things you can do which might help. Firstly turn the heater off, take the car out and drive it like you stole it. If the temperature then gets up to what you are searching for, read the first post in this thread, it will explain why you don't have a problem. :icon_lol:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ght=definative

If that is the difinitive answer the design team came up with it is good enough for me. Trawling through the rest of thread it would appear that opinion is divided though. Each to their own. :}

Funnily enough when looking for this old thread I remembered that the title included a spelling mistake, so I typed difinative in the search function thinking it would lead me straight to it, but it seems to be a more common error than I thought. :getmecoat:

ceedy 10th December 2020 09:35

Yup already done that with no difference :xmas-smiley-008:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2853130)
Have you considered changing the temperature sensor?...

ceedy 10th December 2020 09:43

yeah! .. but why do so many peeps on here say theirs run at the proper? temp and mine doesn't ?

why should my diesel be any different ? .

As for driving style i drive my auto ZT pretty briskly and the temps this morning were the highest after a good run up a very long hill, which I do on the way to work .but the heater was on? .

I do try hard & fail to get the temps up :icon_redface:
C

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2853137)
Well I don't but if you feel the need then why not! :xmas-smiley-008:

If Avulon's suggestion doesn't improve things then may I suggest two easy things you can do which might help. Firstly turn the heater off, take the car out and drive it like you stole it. If the temperature then gets up to what you are searching for, read the first post in this thread, it will explain why you don't have a problem. :icon_lol:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ght=definative

If that is the difinitive answer the design team came up with it is good enough for me. Trawling through the rest of thread it would appear that opinion is divided though. Each to their own. :}

Funnily enough when looking for this old thread I remembered that the title included a spelling mistake, so I typed difinative in the search function thinking it would lead me straight to it, but it seems to be a more common error than I thought. :getmecoat:

Lee T 10th December 2020 09:44

In the late 90s I had a Cavalier Diesel, one Xmas eve around 5pm the radiator split at the lower hose connection, I managed to get an old radiator from my cousin, but it was smaller than the original. Out of desperation I did a hatchet and botchit temporary fit intended only for over Xmas, but the difference in warm up times, heat in the cabin and a small but noticeable increase in mpg meant it was never replaced in my ownership. I have considered trying this with the ZT, but having a FBH and a radiator that holds its coolant, I've got no further than consideration. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ceedy 10th December 2020 09:53

Also as all the big Zeds/75's all use the same size radiator,

one might think that if its large enough to cool a 4.6 V8 lump

( like my 260, which never overheats :icon_redface:)

Maybe its a bit of overkill for a supposedly very efficient dizzle lump :icon_lol:

C

clf 10th December 2020 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee T (Post 2853149)
In the late 90s I had a Cavalier Diesel, one Xmas eve around 5pm the radiator split at the lower hose connection, I managed to get an old radiator from my cousin, but it was smaller than the original. Out of desperation I did a hatchet and botchit temporary fit intended only for over Xmas, but the difference in warm up times, heat in the cabin and a small but noticeable increase in mpg meant it was never replaced in my ownership. I have considered trying this with the ZT, but having a FBH and a radiator that holds its coolant, I've got no further than consideration. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I had a thought along your lines a little whole ago, and started a thread, search for 'alternative theories' and it should come up.it is a bit of an epic, but there is discussion regarding reduced radiator capacity. Also discussed is the the temp sender (which I bought but never fitted) and more info and videos and not quite reaching the magic number.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk