The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Halfords, really !!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=284653)

Ennine 13th June 2018 18:36

Halfords, really !!!

I'm not a lover of Halfords at all, but I needed to pop into my local B&Q today (local is a 100 mile round trip) and Halfords is right next door. There was an item I needed to order online so I decided Halfords would do just this once. I suppose the staff member trying to pry the tailgate lining from a customer's car with a screwdriver should have been enough for me, but anyway. I found the item I was looking for and duly arrived at the till. "Name and email address". "pardon" says I. "name and email address for your receipt". Now, I am normally a very easy going sort but having taken stock of what I was being asked I will admit to having responded in a very loud voice regarding email address farming and my views on it, suggesting that Halfords would need to rise a heck of a lot earlier in the morning to get me to part with my email address for my "receipt". Unbelievable !!

cat 13th June 2018 18:57

Did you get a paper receipt then? or did you tell them where to shove it?

I agree though, I find it irritating as well.

Groundsman Willie 13th June 2018 18:57

On the rare occasions I use Halfrauds, I just say 'no thanks, just a normal one will do'

Ennine 13th June 2018 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat (Post 2639880)
Did you get a paper receipt then? or did you tell them where to shove it?

I agree though, I find it irritating as well.

I picked up my purchase and continued to have my two pence worth in a very loud voice all the way to the door. "Email my receipt", I've been moaning about it ever since and that was six hours ago. It's the gall of it. Do they really think people are that gullible?

HarryM1BYT 13th June 2018 19:03

They have collected such details for many years - my answer is I don't my details on any list.

Ennine 13th June 2018 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2639887)
They have collected such details for many years - my answer is I don't my details on any list.

It's the underhanded way it's done that annoys me.

anddyy 13th June 2018 19:40

This drives me bonkers at halfords every time they ask for email and I always refuse, I've not always got the time to stand there spelling out my email address.

Think they should only ask if the purchase is over a certain amount, not when I've gone in for a £2.99 tube of sealant and when I've been stood at the till for 10mins waiting for a member of staff to turn up and serve you.:devil:

Jim Jamieson 13th June 2018 22:12

Never had a problem at my local Halfords, they don’t usually ask me now as they know I want a printed receipt.

BTW it’s not only Halfords that ask for e mail for receipts as we're moving more into a full electronic era.

Groundsman Willie 13th June 2018 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2639959)
Never had a problem at my local Halfords, they don’t usually ask me now as they know I want a printed receipt.

BTW it’s not only Halfords that ask for e mail for receipts as we're moving more into a full electronic era.

The jewellery counter at Argos do the same

Ennine 13th June 2018 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2639959)

I am aware of that but they can move there without me. The harvesting of email addresses under the pretence of an E-receipt is nothing short of deception. The main issue I had with Halfords was the email request as the first line of response. There was no option offered and was a very matter-of-fact attitude. The quote below says it all really.
"A Halfords spokesman claims collecting customers' email addresses enables the company to send out targeted emails depending on what someone has bought."