The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   EWS Editor Lite help (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309112)

rushly 8th November 2020 15:46

EWS Editor Lite help

Hi. Posted a few times over the years on here and would appreciate any help. I am reasonably computer savy for an oldy but I am running out of ideas on this one.
I have a new EWS Editor Lite and I am attempting to program a new transponder. I have loaded the software and drivers onto a clean version of XP which I know from the suppliers is the only software it will run on. It took a while to sort the drivers but I now have what appears to be a functioning interface. I can read any of my keys (I have a Zt and a 75 so I have a number of keys) and the VIN and mileage can be read.
My problem is I cant read the EWS. I am using the correct contact on the pcb and the insulation has been removed so I have good electrical contact. I select "Read EWS" and the software goes through the 4 attempts to read and finally gives an "EWS read ERROR" message.
I have rung out the din cable to make sure there is not a bad solder joint but without a wiring diagram for the cable I can only test for continuity as I dont know which wires should be connected to which din pin.
Hope this all makes sense to someone and apologies for the length of the post. Any suggestions appreciated.

SKS Disco 8th November 2020 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushly (Post 2846983)
Hi. Posted a few times over the years on here and would appreciate any help. I am reasonably computer savy for an oldy but I am running out of ideas on this one.
I have a new EWS Editor Lite and I am attempting to program a new transponder. I have loaded the software and drivers onto a clean version of XP which I know from the suppliers is the only software it will run on. It took a while to sort the drivers but I now have what appears to be a functioning interface. I can read any of my keys (I have a Zt and a 75 so I have a number of keys) and the VIN and mileage can be read.
My problem is I cant read the EWS. I am using the correct contact on the pcb and the insulation has been removed so I have good electrical contact. I select "Read EWS" and the software goes through the 4 attempts to read and finally gives an "EWS read ERROR" message.
I have rung out the din cable to make sure there is not a bad solder joint but without a wiring diagram for the cable I can only test for continuity as I dont know which wires should be connected to which din pin.
Hope this all makes sense to someone and apologies for the length of the post. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to use. I very much doubt anything but T4 will even communicate with the EWS

rushly 8th November 2020 19:38

Thanks for your reply. This is the tool for the job. The T4 unfortunately won't program key transponders.

SKS Disco 8th November 2020 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushly (Post 2847032)
Thanks for your reply. This is the tool for the job. The T4 unfortunately won't program key transponders.

T4 was never designed to program transponders.
Way out of my league this one but just a word of warning. If you don't do it correctly you will be in a world of pain. There are tech gurus on here that will help I am sure. Although the main two wizzkids are not on here now. I am sure there are other traders/whizz kids who will advise.

SD1too 9th November 2020 07:32

Peter,

Jamiewelch may be able to help you with this.

Simon

Jamiewelch 9th November 2020 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushly (Post 2846983)

Some EWS won't talk to the EWS editor, not sure why, but some just won't. If it won't you'll have to dump it from the actual chip. If you want it dumping I will be able to dump it, then you can program your own transponder. Or I can program your transponder.

Mike Noc 9th November 2020 10:49

Has the EWS been replaced at some point? I've heard of problems with later versions of the EWS.

rushly 9th November 2020 11:14

Simon, Jamie and Mike. Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in responding. I have two EWS's which I have attempted to read. One is from my 2004 facelift ZT and the other is from my 2000 Rover 75 and I get the same result with both i.e. an "EWS READ ERROR" message after the fourth attempt to read. If I were to hazard a guess they are both original EWS's. Thanks for the offers of help, I may have to take you up on that but I will initially persevere. If anyone has any further thoughts I would be most grateful.

janker 9th November 2020 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushly (Post 2847133)
Simon, Jamie and Mike. Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in responding. I have two EWS's which I have attempted to read. One is from my 2004 facelift ZT and the other is from my 2000 Rover 75 and I get the same result with both i.e. an "EWS READ ERROR" message after the fourth attempt to read. If I were to hazard a guess they are both original EWS's. Thanks for the offers of help, I may have to take you up on that but I will initially persevere. If anyone has any further thoughts I would be most grateful.

Hi Jamie is the go to guy for this, Mine wouldn't read from EWS but he managed to read mine and programmed my Key.
cheers julian

BigRuss 10th November 2020 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushly (Post 2847133)

Try a different USB lead, I've got some that don't work with the EWS editor and other stuff.

Changing to a better quality cable and it reads first time every time ;)

Russ

Russ