The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   gear issue (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297300)

dave askey 8th July 2019 19:15

gear issue

hi I seem to have problems with my gearbox ON MY ZT 51 PLATE. it doesn't seem to want to return to the center when you take it out of gear and have to physically move it in to the middle of the box to select 3rd or 4th
any ideas?

trikey 8th July 2019 19:51

Check the cable connections at the gearbox end, they can become detached.

planenut 8th July 2019 20:46

As Trikey suggests, check the connectors on the gear box, then where the cables go under the body above the heat shield, and if still nothing, consider the linkage box where the cables go in to the gear lever.

If the ball joints have separated on the box, and they don't seem strong enough to hold, you can obtain a clamp/s for them.

Good luck.

dave askey 31st July 2019 16:40

Have checked and the cables are attached to the box. Have got another complete set of cables and gear shifter box. Is it worth changing the lot?
Can this be done without dropping the exhaust off?

joel antonio 1st August 2019 06:47

I did change the complete set of cable on mine, I was unable to put second with one hand and worst to try to move from 2nd to 3rd. Now the stick moves to al geards freely and smoothly again.:smilie_re:

I didnīt change anything else.

Kind regards
Joel Antonio.

Siestaman 6th August 2019 08:31

Jumping out of gears 2 & 4

I've just had my whole clutch assembly replaced including slave & master cylinders. The gearbox cables where also replaced.
Now I'm having trouble with 2nd & 4th years. The gear lever jumps out in each of these gears as I'm driving smoothly. It's ok in 1,3 & 5 gears.
Can anyone advise me on my problem please?
Thanks.

planenut 6th August 2019 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siestaman (Post 2753020)
I've just had my whole clutch assembly replaced including slave & master cylinders. The gearbox cables where also replaced.
Now I'm having trouble with 2nd & 4th years. The gear lever jumps out in each of these gears as I'm driving smoothly. It's ok in 1,3 & 5 gears.
Can anyone advise me on my problem please?
Thanks.

As with the earlier posting, I would suggest that you check the connections at the gear box end of the cables, sometimes they can come off, and may need a bit of persuasion to go back on.

Good luck

macafee2 6th August 2019 09:45

are the retaining clips in place just before the gear linkage?

macafee2

Siestaman 8th August 2019 09:28

Jumping out of gears 2 & 4

Retaining clips where not correct. Done. Cables connections where ok.
Seems to have corrected the problem.
Amazed at such a simple thing made a difference.
Thanks macafee2 and planenut.

Siestaman 8th August 2019 09:33

Planenut

You mentioned clamps.
"If the ball joints have separated on the box, and they don't seem strong enough to hold, you can obtain a clamp/s for them".

Where can we obtain the said clamps?

Thanks.