The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Walker Exhaust? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298898)

Dorset Bob 2nd September 2019 18:24

Walker Exhaust?

I saw this V6 rear silencer, described as "Highest, OEM-Original Equipment Manufacturer" with a 3 year warranty.

Has anyone had any experience of Walker? Are they any good?

SD1too 2nd September 2019 19:15

Yes Bob, I have a Walker rear silencer fitted to my V6. You'll probably want to know whether there were any problems fitting it. There were none (I did it myself). I think that it gives a more sporty bass note than its predecessor, a genuine MGR replacement, but a friend who also owns a V6 Rover disagreed. It's certainly not unpleasant.

The only disappointment was that the twin tailpipes were not fitted as accurately as the OEM which means that my chrome finishers are wonky, but that's hardly going to concern most people.

So my verdict is yes, Walker is a trustworthy brand. They still have a UK technical sales desk which is very helpful in locating parts and dealers and that's worth a lot these days.

Simon

vitesse 2nd September 2019 19:28

I've got a Walker on mine too and the thing that pleased me the most was the ease of fitting. Took the strap off the exhaust fitted the strap to the hangers and then slid the exhaust onto the hanging strap - so much easier than trying to fit the hooked model (Klarius).

Regards

rovertone 2nd September 2019 19:42

I have patched up my original again but I would go for Walkers when the time comes for replacement. For me the fact they offer 3year warranty tells you something and I am sure when I was looking the hangers were on a strap as per original, Simon maybe you can confirm.

Contact (courtesy of Simon a while back) is Tennaco-Walker 0121 609 3000 they are very helpful. Last year my local motor factors threw out a back box for mine as 'redundant' stock but now they are reluctant to order one in!!

When I get back from holiday I intend to find another source in readiness for when I need to change.
It would be interesting to hear feedback if you go with one.
Tony

Typhoon190 2nd September 2019 19:47

I worked for one of the larger garage fitter chains when I left school. At the time Walker and Bosal were the better aftermarket exhaust manufacturers.

Dorset Bob 3rd September 2019 09:55

Many thanks for feedback!

After many years of advisories, with a corroded outer skin, the original one lasted 15 years. :}
It finally expired shortly before an MOT, so, as a quick temporary measure, I fitted an inexpensive Klarius one.
It was less than £50 and 4 years on it still looks in good condition! :getmecoat:

I will put this Walker one on the list for when my current silencer expires. ;)

SD1too 3rd September 2019 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovertone (Post 2759633)
... I am sure when I was looking the hangers were on a strap as per original, Simon maybe you can confirm.

Yes Tony, mine is supported by a strap.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rovertone (Post 2759633)
Contact (courtesy of Simon a while back) is Tennaco-Walker 0121 609 3000

That's the switchboard number. You can reach sales directly on 0121 609 3047. :D

Simon

rovertone 3rd September 2019 10:53

I have actually contacted the ebay site linked by Bob to ask if they can get the back box for the diesel. Although I quoted the Walkers part number they have responded asking for my VIN No to check that the listed part will fit!!

rovertone 13th September 2019 17:40

Following on from this thread I thought in readiness I would follow up with Walkers to source a replacement for mine given the original can't last much longer. I specifically targeted Walkers brand as they offer a 3yr warranty.

The Customer Service I received was absolutely first class. Seemingly they haven't made the diesel back box for over 2 years and there is no stock in any distribution depots anywhere in Europe. Their sales office didn't leave it there, they said there maybe a good chance to find one in an Irish motor factor and they would phone around.

They called me back 2 hours later to say they had found one in Lewes, E. Sussex and if I wanted it the motor factor was willing to let them have it back because he didn't do online sales. They collected it, called me today when it was back in their depot and within 4 hours I had collected it from a local motor factors who they had arranged would collect from them and sell it to me and, because it was a non stocked item, the factor charged me a well discounted price of £70.
In this day and age where you frequently hear of poor or non existent customer service I felt compelled to pass on this experience. It was especially noteworthy given I am an end user punter, their direct customers being the motor trade.
I did suggest that if/when they manufacture again I would spread the word via the club but apparently production planning is complex and they cannot say if/when they will make again.
I am hoping their product matches the service but I'm one happy bunny.

jeremy 16th September 2019 10:50

When my original back box gave up the ghost at about 100k, I went to a local professional who fitted a Walker (although I have only just this minute tracked down the manufacturer as the fitter only gave a reference number in his invoice). I was a bit worried that it wouldn't perform as well as the double-skinned box it replaced but it has been excellent and very quiet. I paid just over 100 Euro which I thought was reasonable and I am even more pleased now that I find it is a recommended replacement.Jeremy