The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Siezed spark plugs removal ????? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308098)

Mogodon 23rd September 2020 18:20

Siezed spark plugs removal ?????

My trusted garage have rung to say they can't get the spark plugs out my Micra, and didn't want to risk snapped plugs or damaged head, and we're unwilling to carry on without my permission.

Told them to leave it for now.

Any tips from the experts on here how to get them out please.

trikey 23rd September 2020 18:48

Lots of plusgas while the engine is cold then warm it up to running temperature then go for it!

Saga Lout 23rd September 2020 18:57

Heat and Patience.

I learned from a master, warm up the engine till it's very hot and then tighten the plugs a degree. If the plugs move then it's a quarter turn to undo and then tighten again, the next turn will go beyond the quarter turn and back again, repeat until free. If you think you've damaged a thread then you get an old plug, cut a V shape into it right to the end of the threads at 45 degrees and pack the V with some sticky grease, it then makes a tap to renew the thread and catches any stray swarf.

egremont 26th September 2020 12:26

A little bit of copper grease helps.

Our local workshop proprietor (and member of our local club) smears a dab of copper grease on the threads. Also on parts such as wheel nuts. Never seems to have any trouble extracting items prepped this way.

RogerHeinz57 26th September 2020 20:12

Injector crack spray (Available from ECP)
Used to free off injectors that are seized in place.

Avulon 28th September 2020 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by egremont (Post 2838897)
Our local workshop proprietor (and member of our local club) smears a dab of copper grease on the threads. Also on parts such as wheel nuts. Never seems to have any trouble extracting items prepped this way.

Grease on spark plug threads, even copper grease can be an effective insulator preventing the plug from earthing (cue several hours trying to work out why an engine won't start) a small smear can be got away with - but not needed. Grease should never be needed on either spark plugs or wheel bolts/nuts.

AndrewJames 28th September 2020 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saga Lout (Post 2838410)
I learned from a master, warm up the engine till it's very hot and then tighten the plugs a degree. If the plugs move then it's a quarter turn to undo and then tighten again, the next turn will go beyond the quarter turn and back again, repeat until free. If you think you've damaged a thread then you get an old plug, cut a V shape into it right to the end of the threads at 45 degrees and pack the V with some sticky grease, it then makes a tap to renew the thread and catches any stray swarf.

I am by no means an expert but I do own a Micra if that qualifies me in any way. I was going to write a comment but can see that Saga Lout has basically written what I was going to about loosening, then tightening etc. The only thing I would add is to make sure you have the right sized socket and make sure it is properly on the spark plug. Last thing you want is a seized AND rounded plug.

COLVERT 28th September 2020 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by egremont (Post 2838897)

Not a lot of use to the guy with the seized in plugs to help him get them out.---:smilie_re:--Go stand in the corner.-------------------------:D

COLVERT 28th September 2020 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2839205)
Grease on spark plug threads, even copper grease can be an effective insulator preventing the plug from earthing (cue several hours trying to work out why an engine won't start) a small smear can be got away with - but not needed. Grease should never be needed on either spark plugs or wheel bolts/nuts.

Grease on a plugs threads, ( It will be thin if the plug is up tight. ) won't be any kind of barrier to 25,000 plus volts.-----:eek:

A shocking reply, but true.----:D:D:D

mh007 28th September 2020 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saga Lout (Post 2838410)

As above, the way I've always done it :}