The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spring has sprung... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310876)

KSM62 4th February 2021 08:31

Spring has sprung...

I'm in the process of replacing the front springs on my 75 diesel tourer. One snapped while parked in the street and the other went as I moved the car onto the driveway. Struts are off the car and I have new OEM parts inc bearings and rubber buffers. Problem is I just can't seem to get the new springs compressed enough to reassemble it all again. I have two sets of compressors, standard and long reach but they don't seem to work well with these progressive springs. Any tips. Should I just give up and get a garage to fit them of is there a better compressor I should be using?

I've just rechecked the spring codes from under the rear seat and they are PS JS Purple/Yellow. That's what I am trying to fit. But after looking at info on Rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/c/MG-Rover-75...le-Information I note that the diesel should be PT JT Purple/Brown.:duh: Have I messed up?

beinet1 4th February 2021 08:40

That struggle is real :D :D Been there many times but in most cases I have been able to get the nut on with the help of an assistant while compressing the last mm`s with my own weight :D
If the shockers are used, they might drop a bit while putting the bearing assembly on, making the task even harder.
Many garages have another kind (expensive/professional) of spring compressors that will compress the spring in seconds. Its Ok to bring the struts to a garage and make them compress the springs for you if the struggle is real :) They wont use many minutes on that...

KSM62 4th February 2021 09:23

Do you think the V6 springs originally fitted to my diesel tourer are correct then?

beinet1 4th February 2021 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSM62 (Post 2863365)
Do you think the V6 springs originally fitted to my diesel tourer are correct then?

I have no idea about that, but using the sticker under the rear seat as a reference would be most correct i guess ( I was told this by a Rimmers salesman), depending if any modifications had been done after the car left the factory. Somebody more wiser than me would probably pop up soon....

GaryGee 4th February 2021 14:02

I made some clamps out of pretty industrial angle iron, can compress springs, fit these, then reposition compressors and compress again

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...c0c1bc7816.jpg

SD1too 4th February 2021 16:30

Tourer front springs PS & JS Purple/Yellow

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSM62 (Post 2863347)
Have I messed up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSM62 (Post 2863365)

Hello Keith,

These CI codes, colour codes and the part numbers with which they are associated are an enigma. My car's label doesn't have a code for the rear shock absorbers at all and, according to Rimmer's table, my RC rear springs should be red but one of them is actually brown/white which doesn't appear in the table at all! :o

I would be guided by the part number given in the EPG for your car's VIN Keith. That worked for me when I renewed my rear shock absorbers. Rimmer gives part number REB 000470 for the code on your car's label. Is that what you've bought?

Simon

PS Note that spring REB 101420 is specified for both the KV6 and diesel saloons using different codes!

KSM62 4th February 2021 17:04

Yes, that is what I have (REB000470).
I have just managed to get one of them fitted at last :party:.
What a RPITA. I was trying to avoid getting the hooks trapped between the spring and the lower spring plate. Eventually, I had to position the clamps as best I could and then tap off the trapped hooks when the top plate was in place.

marinabrian 6th February 2021 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSM62 (Post 2863439)
Yes, that is what I have (REB000470).
I have just managed to get one of them fitted at last :party:.
What a RPITA. I was trying to avoid getting the hooks trapped between the spring and the lower spring plate. Eventually, I had to position the clamps as best I could and then tap off the trapped hooks when the top plate was in place.

Position the clamp on the underside of the spring cup ;)

Brian :D

norfie 17th March 2021 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2863433)
Hello Keith,

PS Note that spring REB 101420 is specified for both the KV6 and diesel saloons using different codes!

All the diesel saloon springs are used on the KV6 saloons for various models and some of the KV6 springs are used on the K1.8 so yes it can become complicated.

75driver 17th March 2021 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfie (Post 2871761)
All the diesel saloon springs are used on the KV6 saloons for various models and some of the KV6 springs are used on the K1.8 so yes it can become complicated.

Good to see your still on the forum Neil. You supplied me with some very useful spring and damper information about 5 years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk