The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil leak (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30879)

thomas5606 24th December 2008 16:24

Oil leak

I own a Rover 75 CDTI, approx 87K 03 plate, and have an oil leak coming out from the dip stick, my mechanic has replaced both breathers, whatever they are, but this has not cured the problem, anyone got any ideas what the problem may be, there is no blue or black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

stocktake 24th December 2008 16:44

Not a diesel man myself but there is almost certainly a PCV that needs to be cleaned. Do a search for the above

Ian V 24th December 2008 16:52

How To Change the PCV Filter.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=30416

denis 24th December 2008 20:35

Pcv

You've got me going now. What's the PCV and from Froggy's photo series are we looking at a small filter change or is it the whole device that the filter encloses.

:bowdown::bowdown:

justmicky 24th December 2008 20:43

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, or PCV valve, is a one way valve that ensures continual evacuation of gases from inside an engine's crankcase.

:icon_wink:

Jamie 24th December 2008 20:44

You can buy the filter from any BMW garage for the M47 diesel engine, about £7...it sits at the top of the engine, its near the injectors...a round looking top on it...and you need to remove the engine cover first.

If I remember correctly I had to disconnect the cable to one of the injectors

You can also change the whole PCV (circa £53), although mine was fine, it just needed a darn good clean.

BMW call it an oil seperator, its actually a diaphram breather with a filter...when its blocked it will cause crankcase pressure, black smoke and poor running.

About 30-60 mins taking your time.

If youve got oil blowing out of the dipstick..it may be something more serious, however Id definately try the PCV first...fingers crossed.

denis 24th December 2008 20:46

Pcv

Thanks JM,

Great - I know what next weekends job is then - both of them!!

Hope you've taken all this in Thomas5606 - me - just do the job for the hell of working on the cars!!!

JohnDotCom 24th December 2008 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas5606 (Post 266492)
I own a Rover 75 CDTI, approx 87K 03 plate, and have an oil leak coming out from the dip stick, my mechanic has replaced both breathers, whatever they are, but this has not cured the problem, anyone got any ideas what the problem may be, there is no blue or black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

As stated normally the PCV needs either changing or cleaning,
by the sound of yours definitely needs replacing.
Also the EGR valve may also need cleaning out, or Bypassing.
Both of these would build up the pressure pushing the Oil up the dip stick tube (layman's Description)
Do this as soon as possible as otherwise serious problems could arise with Engine.

FYVIELAD 27th December 2008 09:13

Oil Leak

I have had just major problem with just such a leak, only in my case it was not the PCV valve but a clogged filter which resulted in a spray job right along the underneath of my tourer.
The filter was so badly gunged up that the garage could not clean it and had to make up a filter to do me until I can get a proper one(it was Xmas Eve).
the back pressure blew the dipstick out of the hole also note that whilst there was little oil left the dipstick was showing almost full because the back pressure was pushing up the oil level.
The low oil pressure only came on when I came to a winding part in the road and the oil moved from side to side. Mileage is 100,000.
This filter is situated on top of the engine beside the air filter but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the filter.
Sorry I did not notice JAMIES article that is my problem to a T.
Congratulations Jamie on being a father. Its safer fiddling with motors (and cheaper)

FYVIELAD 27th December 2008 09:37

Oil Leak

On reading all the posts I wonder if in fact my problem was the PCV Valve.
The garage told me the filter was kidney shaped ????
i will check on Monday and get back to you.