The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Photography Corner (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   New camera advice? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125456)

sworks 30th September 2012 11:18

New camera advice?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Canon 1D MK2N as I'm having issues with indoor sport at high iso (noise) I have no prefered genre and shoot landscape, portrait and sports so can't decide which is best. The Canon 7D or 5D MK2? I realise the 7D will be better for sport and 5D for landscape as it's full frame but I want something that will last me a good few years?

Gate Keeper 30th September 2012 14:06

You could pm Canonite as he is a whizz when it comes to Canon Cameras.

sworks 30th September 2012 18:54

I have a friend that has a 5D2 a 5D3 and a 7D and he can't answer which is best for me?????? Maybe I should just buy a flash :D

coolcat 30th September 2012 21:24

Hi,

I love my 7d to bits which replaced my 40d, it really is a great camera for motorsport photography with the crop factor and the high shutter rate.
But.....A full frame would be the way to go for landscape, portraiture type photography.
I think the 5d mk3 would be a great camera as it has enough speed to keep most shooters happy and stick a tele convertor on it and you have the reach of a crop body, the price is pretty steep though !
There is the recently announced 6d as a cheaper full frame to consider.
Or if your lucky and your numbers come up how about a 1d x :drool4:
Good luck with whatever you choose, they're all good tools.
Of course the other argument is keep your current body and have a splurge on some new glass ;)

coolcat 30th September 2012 21:27

Just re read your opening post and realised you were looking at the 5d mk2 not 3, much better price comparison to the 7d, decisions, decisions :)

Canonite 30th September 2012 22:55

I was all for the 7D but only as I couldn't bear to part with my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Having used both the 5D MkII really is in another league, and if you have L lenses its the natural progression from the older 1D.
If it really does boil down to 8fps the 7D wins. I'd still have FF detail over a faster burst mode.

sworks 1st October 2012 19:39

I've found out that the 7D isn't very good over 800 iso so that's a no go. Looks like I'm sticking with what I have for the moment. I'm going to try Light Room 4 as apparently it's noise reduction is very good

coolcat 1st October 2012 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 1106933)
I've found out that the 7D isn't very good over 800 iso so that's a no go. Looks like I'm sticking with what I have for the moment. I'm going to try Light Room 4 as apparently it's noise reduction is very good

Really ?
I regularly push mine way past that in low light to keep the shutter where I want it and I'd say that the noise control on mine is very good.
I don't have to spend much time cleaning up with noise ninja on either jpegs or raw files.
Maybe there is a difference between copies and that might explain the differences!
Having said all that I'm sure the full frame sensors deal with noise in high iso's better still:)

Gate Keeper 2nd October 2012 12:53

Jeff it slipped my mind that you also know a great deal about Canons. Sorry. You use Nikon as well. Lets not forget Nikon here even though it has not been asked about :)

coolcat 2nd October 2012 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 1107343)
Jeff it slipped my mind that you also know a great deal about Canons. Sorry. You use Nikon as well. Lets not forget Nikon here even though it has not been asked about :)

Or Olympus, Sony, Pentax etc!
Lots of good cameras out there, person behind it that makes the difference so they tell me;)