The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine disabled message (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101479)

Charles 3rd January 2012 12:33

Engine disabled message

Can anyone advise on this problem, please? I last used my car on Sunday morning and everything was fine. Tried to use it again on Monday afternoon and it wouldn't start. When I turn the ignition key to the "start" position, nothing happens except that the message "engine disabled" appears on the message centre. The handbook suggests that this means that there is a problem connected with the immobiliser.

I have tried both keys without success. Both keys lock and unlock the doors, though, so their batteries can't be flat. The car battery is also not flat. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery (on the principle of "switching off and rebooting") but, again, without success. The car has been parked under cover in the car-port since last used, so water ingression seems unlikely - I have checked the plenum and all seems dry anyway.

I'm now out of ideas and would be very grateful for any suggestions!

In case it helps, the car is a 2002 Rover 75 Mark I with a 2 litre petrol engine.

psicobra 3rd January 2012 12:50

How sure are you the battery has enough power in it? i have read other posts where this is down to a flat or dead battery might be worth you trying a booster pack or charging the battery and seeing what happens.

Andy

johnwh74 3rd January 2012 12:55

First thing i would do is check your plenums for water!!!

psicobra 3rd January 2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwh74 (Post 888789)

i thought that but he said he has checked them ??

Banjo 3rd January 2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwh74 (Post 888789)

He has done that and all appears to be dry.

psicobra 3rd January 2012 12:58

i still think battery try a booster pack or charging it even if the battery shows 12-14 Volts still might not have enough amps to kick engine over worth a try let us know what happens

johnwh74 3rd January 2012 12:59

Thats just me quick reading!!

A similar problem popped up not long back. Water in the ecu which caused a car to be scrapped.

Charles 3rd January 2012 13:09

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I had already checked the plenums and found them bone dry (I check the drains regularly, having been caught out by a flooded ICU a few years ago).

I don't think the culprit is the battery, because everything else is still working. I had a flat battery a few months ago and did not get the "engine disabled" message on that occasion. In desparation, I have put the battery on charge on the off-chance that it might help - I'm not optimistic but I'll report back later.

If anyone has any other ideas in the meantime, please let me know!

BigRuss 3rd January 2012 13:16

As above ,charge the battery then when you attempt to start turn to position 2 wait a couple of seconds then try to start.

Let me know how you get on, if you are still having problems then I may be able to help.

Has your car got a sunroof by any chance?

Russ

Charles 3rd January 2012 14:58

After 3 hours on full charge, I connected the battery up again but the situation was no different, except that now the "engine disabled" message comes up as soon as I switch the ignition on (previously, it did not come on until I turned the key to "start"). I have put the battery back on charge for now but I really do not think it is going to help; as I said earlier, I had a flat battery some weeks ago and did not get the "engine disabled" message then.

To answer Russ's question, no, this car does not have a sun-roof. Why do you ask?

Any more ideas gratefully received.