The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Advice on bmw 5 series sports tourer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=281997)

kmtranter 12th April 2018 14:25

Advice on bmw 5 series sports tourer

It looks like the repair on my ztt will be more than the cars worth so am considering its replacement. I like that opening window on my ztt and have only seen the 5 series to offer this. I was just wandering if anyone has any advice, it will be more likely the 2.0 diesel, but it will have to be a high mileage model. Also as rover/mg use the bmw 2.0 diesel will it still be a timing chain instead of cam belt.

slovcan 12th April 2018 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmtranter (Post 2618510)
It looks like the repair on my ztt will be more than the cars worth so am considering its replacement. I like that opening window on my ztt and have only seen the 5 series to offer this. I was just wandering if anyone has any advice, it will be more likely the 2.0 diesel, but it will have to be a high mileage model. Also as rover/mg use the bmw 2.0 diesel will it still be a timing chain instead of cam belt.

I always liked the 5 Series. As far as the diesel goes, the older ones had the M47 that the M47R Rover engine is in basic terms, BUT there are some problematic differences on the original BMW ones. Check to see which ones had swirl flaps - if any of the M47's did. They are trouble unless there is documentation proving they have been removed. The other thing about the BMW version is the turbo. They use a Variable Vane unit that is not as reliable as the basic type on the Rover. The newer 2.0 BMW engine is the M74 (I think) and it has got a lot of bad reviews for failures. It either has a cam belt or a weak cam chain.

I'd be looking for either an old 2.5 TD or 3.0 D, making sure the one I chose didn't have swirl flaps. In some cases the manual transmission cars came without swirl flaps while the automatic transmission ones had them.

Don't forget the 3 Series Tourer with the 2.5 or 3.0 diesels (again, without swirl flaps). They can be hot rods.

Cheers,
Glenn

AndyN01 12th April 2018 14:54

The dilemma here is......

Do you spend the money on getting the ZT-T back on the road OR

Find a "high mileage" BMW diesel?

It looks like you've owned the ZT-T for several years so by now know all the quirks and know how she's been looked after.

Only you can define what she's "worth" but it's not really her resale value because we all know that's not a particularly big number. What's a ZT-T with a duff high pressure pump worth in £'s? I'll guess not much.

And the unknown BMW??? :shrug:

A great car or a money pit just waiting for someone else's (your) wallet :shrug::shrug:.

There's plenty to choose from, from not a great deal of £££'s

I'm sure if you can find a "genuine" BMW it will be a great car.

Maybe a personal sale from one of the BMW forums might be a good place to look (if they have such a thing)?

I'd spend the money on keeping the ZT-T but obviously the decision is yours.

Good Luck.

Andy.

macafee2 12th April 2018 15:07

I seem to recall that some BMW wheels suffer from cracking on the side that is not seen but I don't know which ones

macafee2

Amsca2 12th April 2018 15:27

C5 has rear glass that opens on the tail. Not the prettiest but diesels are fairly robust. However nothing on a ztt or 75. :D

Fix the old bus.

kmtranter 12th April 2018 15:35

As you said nothing on a 75 or ztt

Drummer Boy 12th April 2018 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmtranter (Post 2618510)

Might we ask what's wrong?

kmtranter 12th April 2018 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Boy (Post 2618600)
Might we ask what's wrong?

High pressure fuel pump needs replacing to get the car going, on top will need to replace brake pads as light is on, followed by an abs sensor and finally windscreen washer to be done before mot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MSS 12th April 2018 19:30

Those are very small to small items compared with buying an unknown car with highish mileage.

If I was to buy a BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class with 100k+ miles, I would set aside £2k to sort out all the "little issues".

kmtranter 12th April 2018 21:10

The main issue is the fuel pump, prior to breaking down i had a small fuel leak on the return side. But when overtaking the engine management light came on and lost power. I pulled into a layby the car stalled and wouldn't restart. I can't get the car to my mechanic so i dont know if anything else is wrong and instead of messing about trying to sort out the car without knowing whats being done will fix it or how long its going to take to fix i have to very regrettably look for an alternative as i need a car for work.
As you said buying a high mileage car can be problamatic and counter productive i am trying hard to think which way to go, and if i could find a 190 ztt with the same or better spec than mine i would have to consider it.