The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Steering vague / play? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318097)

hogweed 4th March 2022 11:22

Steering vague / play?

The Rover was off the road for a couple of weeks there, so I got quite used to driving the TF every day. Now that the old tractor is back, I notice all the differences… one which is really obvious is the steering – so much so that I wonder if there might be something wrong with it?

The steering feels a lot more vague than the MG’s – almost as if there’s a lot of play in it. It might just be “how they are” of course – there’s never been any mention of it in the MOT etc, and most if not all of the suspension etc gubbins has been replaced now.

Is there anything I need the mechanic to have a specific look at during its next service? There’s a very faint leak from one end of the steering rack, so I’m looking at getting that replaced anyway, but not sure if it could be the problem…

Anything else obvious? She’s done over 200,000 miles now :D

SD1too 4th March 2022 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2923043)
The steering feels a lot more vague than the MG’s – almost as if there’s a lot of play in it.

Have you had a four wheel alignment carried out Roger?

Simon

hogweed 4th March 2022 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2923046)
Have you had a four wheel alignment carried out Roger?

I have indeed Simon ;) about 6 months ago maybe.

The car isn't wandering or anything like that - it feels more like the steering is connected to the wheels via rubber bands, if you get me... and it absolutely may be just how these cars are, compared with the very tight steering on the little TF :shrug:

COLVERT 4th March 2022 15:08

Shouldn't be much play at all really.---With my engine running and reaching in through the drivers window to the steering wheel it's virtually instantaneous movement of the front wheel as I turn the steering.-----------:D

hogweed 4th March 2022 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2923074)
Shouldn't be much play at all really.---With my engine running and reaching in through the drivers window to the steering wheel it's virtually instantaneous movement of the front wheel as I turn the steering.-----------:D

Hhmmm yeah... think mine does too.

I'm beginning to suspect it's just a "gearing" issue, with the Rover's wheel having to be turned a fair bit more for the same effect :shrug:

Ah well. Don't worry about it - I'll get it checked out at MOT time.

stocktake 4th March 2022 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2923075)

I'm beginning to suspect it's just a "gearing" issue, with the Rover's wheel having to be turned a fair bit more for the same effect :shrug:

Try driving my Sunbeam 90 with screw and nut steering. It's a good job the motorway has three lanes :D

clf 4th March 2022 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2923075)

I got that feeling driving a pre facelift 75 after the ZT - which was a gearing issue. Also I noticed the more turns which exaggerated it (it can be quite scary driving my mother's '99 base Clio too lol).

A crude check though if it is concerning you, is to jack up the front wheels, and hold the tyre at 9 and 3, gently but firmly move the wheel in and out with the hub as the axis, as you would checking for bearing movement. If there is any undue movement or play, it will likely be related to the track rod end ball joint. This could give a vagueness at the beginning that you had become used to until the TF.

hogweed 4th March 2022 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2923092)
I got that feeling driving a pre facelift 75 after the ZT - which was a gearing issue.

Cheers Alan - so is the gearing (right term?) different on the ZT then?

clf 4th March 2022 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2923097)
Cheers Alan - so is the gearing (right term?) different on the ZT then?

Gearing.or speed (think of a quick.rack) would be the terms I would use.

I only drove the 75 once,basically pulling out of the junction, turning right, I had to turn it noticeably more (of a turn) than the zt.

Later 75s (possibly facelifts?) and contemporaries apparently had the same rack as a zt.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

hogweed 5th March 2022 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2923115)
Gearing.or speed (think of a quick.rack) would be the terms I would use.

I only drove the 75 once,basically pulling out of the junction, turning right, I had to turn it noticeably more (of a turn) than the zt.

Later 75s (possibly facelifts?) and contemporaries apparently had the same rack as a zt.

Cheers for that Alan - as mine's late 2004, it may have a later rack. I guess I'll just have to drive your nice MG for a week or two to find out :D